Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rec ForesterCub!
Looks like Asisn only sells a Manual Trans kit, which I think is because of the Water Pump type. Mine is Auto Trans.

Anyone have experience installing the Aisin TKF001 kit water pump on a Auto Trans EJ251 ? Will it work?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
90 Posts
The second TB service on my Foz's EJ251 is approaching and wanted to get suggestions on best quality aftermarket OEM kits. Looking at Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit on RockAuto. What brand kit have you installed? Words of wisdom...

You can get the Gates timing belt kit, at ROCK AUTO. I installed it and after 13k miles it is going strong. Now remember, the GAtes kit with the 'N' designation. Like 304N etc. N denotes all oem parts.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
@wab30188 I believe the Aisin timing belt kit you are looking for is the TKF004. This is the one I used on my auto trans 07.

However the one you need could be still be different, but its definitely not the 001. You can double check on Aisins website to be sure.

I had used a Gates kit on my WRX back in the day, but folks say that it's quite difficult to source a Gates kit with all OEM parts these days. The Aisin kit is a guaranteed OEM lot of parts. Just another man's two cents.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
I bought a gates kit in 2014, but as you see, they are now china made, and even if you buy the "N" designation model for the kit, I hear the tensioners are junk, so you might as well go OEM or look into the Aisin kit.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with parts from Bernie on eBay for the TB kit, water pump and t-stat. He had a great price on quality parts.

·
Registered
2013 Manual
56 Posts
My last forester was a manual. Whoever did the timing belt before me used a kit for an automatic. I never knew why it had the extra port they capped off. The asin kit I replaced it with didn't have the extra port so I never questioned it, now it makes sense.

·
Registered
2013 Manual
56 Posts
My last forester was a manual. Whoever did the timing belt before me used a kit for an automatic. I never knew why it had the extra port they capped off. The asin kit I replaced it with didn't have the extra port so I never questioned it, now it makes sense.
Okay so I have my current forester's motor out on the engine stand and noticed that it has an Manual Trans water pump, but it came out of an automatic forester. Odd. It is a replacement kit (pump is Gates 42207) whoever did it must have used a manual trans kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the rec ForesterCub!
Looks like Asisn only sells a Manual Trans kit, which I think is because of the Water Pump type. Mine is Auto Trans.

Anyone have experience installing the Aisin TKF001 kit water pump on a Auto Trans EJ251 ? Will it work?
I contacted Aisin a few months back & was told that you can use the TKF-001 kit on an automatic; but, you have to buy an OEM water pump for an automatic. The only difference is the water pump.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
327 Posts
For price and value, I think Contitech pro series kits by CRP automotive are the best. They are complete and contain all the OEM supplier individual components (Aisin water pump for sure) at a price that's hard to beat. With Aisin, I've found that you have to piecemeal a lot of their kits together which can get expensive.

*correction: they come with an NPW water pump, also a well known Japanese OEM supplier known for their reliable pumps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts