Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2003 Subaru Forester and it is just about to turn over 100,000 miles. I bought it new from the subaru dealer. I love my car and the way it rides and want to keep running it but I'm rather concerned about the number of repairs that I've encountered with it so far, and what I should expect in the future. I feel I've kept up with the normal maintenance to this point. Here's a list a things I've have replaced -

Moon roof leaked twice (40,000 and 60,000 miles)
Tires replaced at (50,000 miles)
Brakes-calipers, rotors, pads replaced at (75,000 miles)
Radiator replaced at (80,000 miles)
Fuel Filter replaced at (80,000 miles)
Head gaskets, water pump, timing belt replaced at (85,000 miles)
Alternator replaced at (90,000 miles)
Head gasket leakage (95,000 miles) - covered under warranty from original repair.

Next repairs
Power Steering Repair - signs of leaking fluid have been showing up recently.
Struts replaced - I've been told that the struts are getting to the end of their life also.

Is this 'normal' wear for a subaru forester or do own an unusually bad one? Thanks for providing any input.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Answers in red.

I own a 2003 Subaru Forester and it is just about to turn over 100,000 miles. I bought it new from the subaru dealer. I love my car and the way it rides and want to keep running it but I'm rather concerned about the number of repairs that I've encountered with it so far, and what I should expect in the future. I feel I've kept up with the normal maintenance to this point. Here's a list a things I've have replaced -

Moon roof leaked twice (40,000 and 60,000 miles) Normal, possiability on any car with a hole in the roof
Tires replaced at (50,000 miles) Normal, If these are the OEM tires that were replaced, you did good.
Brakes-calipers, rotors, pads replaced at (75,000 miles) Rotors and pads, Normal. Why were the calipers replaced?
Radiator replaced at (80,000 miles) Let me guess, cracked? It happens.
Fuel Filter replaced at (80,000 miles) This is normal maintenance.
Head gaskets, water pump, timing belt replaced at (85,000 miles) This is typically seen closer or after 100K, the HG are a added expense but the timing belt is normal and called out at 105K and the water pump is cheaper to do at the same time
Alternator replaced at (90,000 miles) It happens with any car, I say normal.
Head gasket leakage (95,000 miles) - covered under warranty from original repair. I would say this is more reflective of the work quality during the original repair with only 10K difference in mileage.

Next repairs
Power Steering Repair - signs of leaking fluid have been showing up recently.
Struts replaced - I've been told that the struts are getting to the end of their life also.
Again I would say normal possibilities for any car approaching/passing 100K. Cars are mechanical assemblies, mechanical assemblies need attention as they age/wear.

Is this 'normal' wear for a subaru forester or do own an unusually bad one? Thanks for providing any input.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
2 Posts
I have an 03 with just about 110K mile on it

other than the standard maint I just had to replace the front struts and a stuck tire rod

I did go the timing belt service, required at 105K, and had the water pump, Themostadt and other items replaced. But I look at that at one servce and not that something broke

A lot of the things you listed are just regular service internals, things you have to do with a high mileage car, not necessarily that something broke.

Once most cars get to 80-100k you need to do these services to keep things running for the next 80-100k

It doesnt appear that you have had an undue amount of actual equipment failures

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 4EAT
30 Posts
I did go the timing belt service, required at 105K, and had the water pump, Themostadt and other items replaced. But I look at that at one servce and not that something broke
Forgive my minor thread jack, but can I ask what you paid for that service? And, if they replaced the tensioner arms and bearings or not?

I just got a quote for that particular service and it was $1350!

Thanks much, and /threadjack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts