Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
- -
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

so i'm looking at buying this used car for somewhere between 7 and 8 g. the biggest thing i'm worried about, though, is a haunting tale my friend told me about the "lemon year." anyone have any clue what the lemon year for sub's is? she said there was one year in particular where a bunch of the tranny's just bit the dust, and i wouldn't want to have my first ever sub be a bust :(.

highly appreciate any comments!

cheers,

sarah

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome Sarah, hope we can help you out with some answers

First off I have to tell you that in 2003 there was no XT model available in Canada or the US. The XT designates it as the Turbo model. There were the X, XS and XS Premium models of that year. The XT came out in 2004 here.

Secondly I don't recall any of the Foresters having transmission problems. Some of the Forester will experience head gasket problems, but the number of those were diminishing as the newer models came out. That is a problem that sadly you may one day face.

Looking at some of the 2003 + models in the Edmonton area :cool: indicate that they are high mileage in your budget range, and the first thing you would want to check out is when the timing belt was last changed. There are a host of other items that should be done when the timing belt is done to assure nothing breaks resulting in a costly repair.

I'd suggest looking at some of the cars offered on Craigslist and Kiji to see what's available. Service records are a bonus if the car has been maintained properly, otherwise it's a gamble and might cost you more in the long run.

Keep us posted with your search

·
Registered
- -
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply, good dog.

i did a bit more browsing around on kiji, and found a '98 forester for $5000. it's also black :). however, it has 285000 km on it. the add says that the timing belt, clutch, and windshield were just done. what do you think? how long would a car with that many clicks last me?

cheers,

sarah.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts