Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

After some fun off the road, I am not able to get my Forester back in high-range.

2003 model Forester SG 2.0-liter manual transmission.

I engage the clutch and the lever gets out of LO into "neutral", but it will not engage in HI. It feels like pushing a gearbox into gear without having the clutch engaged, but without the grinding noise though. It does not "feel" like the wire has come loose as the lever "springs back" to mid-position instead of engaging. Pulling the lever back to LO feels and works like normal.

I have tried to shift to HI both in stand-still and at higher speed, and this has worked fine before.

Anyone experienced this before, or have some tips?

Best regards
HighRev Hartvik

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
664 Posts
Drive gently in reverse for a few meters, then try select HR. Repeat if necessary.

Drivetrain can get wound up, if driven on surfaces where there is not enough slippage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wery thankful for the tip,
I tried that, and also jacked up with the car in neutral, no e-brake, but the wheels did not turn or give any indication that there is stress on the gear box.

Right now I am afraid there was a wind-up issue that put too much stress on the gearbox breaking or bending something inside.
Been driving 150 km in low gear now, and the car will still not go into high gear...

·
Registered
2007 Forester SG 2.0X
2 Posts
Hey I've just managed to fix the exact same issue on my 2007 SG 2.0X manual. Basically treat it like wind-up in a manual differential locking offroader.

• In low range put it in reverse and let it drive itself backwards, whilst doing this turn your steering wheel back and forth to drive a big reverse 'S' shape.
  • Every 20m or so try and put it back into high box
  • If it still wont go in add a blip of throttle to help unwind it

You'll want to cover the brakes to control the car and you'll likely feel the wheels slipping a bit, which is exactly what you want. Also you may need quite a big space like an empty street or car park.

Hopefully this will work for you as well as it did for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I've just managed to fix the exact same issue on my 2007 SG 2.0X manual. Basically treat it like wind-up in a manual differential locking offroader.

• In low range put it in reverse and let it drive itself backwards, whilst doing this turn your steering wheel back and forth to drive a big reverse 'S' shape.
  • Every 20m or so try and put it back into high box
  • If it still wont go in add a blip of throttle to help unwind it

You'll want to cover the brakes to control the car and you'll likely feel the wheels slipping a bit, which is exactly what you want. Also you may need quite a big space like an empty street or car park.

Hopefully this will work for you as well as it did for me.
Thanks for the answer.
I have tried backing up while turning left/right. Also, there is a lot of ice and snow on the road and I have tried spinning the wheels to let stress out, but it is still stuck in low series, unfortunately.
As I mentioned, I have tried to lift up the vehicle and rotating the wheels, without any windup letting any stress out. I.E. I don't suspect windup is the reason it won't change into high.

The wire seems fine as there is enough range so the level should be able to shift, but there is a physical resistance inside the gearbox not letting it in to high gear. I have tried to force the lever where the wire is pulling on the gearbox while slowly driving forward, but this has not worked.
I have bought a 09 forester, so I guess the 03 stuck in low is headed to the press.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts