Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Resurrect from the old forum as I had a couple of inquiries lately:

The decision on which side to mount the snorkel in this manner will depend on the location of your windscreen wiper motor. Mine is on the RHS so the snorkel is mounted on the LHS to get a clear pipe run though the air dam in front of the windscreen. I decided to use the 2nd hand snorkel rather than a piece of pipe up the A pillar so as to maintain the air reserve dam in the snorkel itself (and thinking that it would also retain any moisture until it had evaporated).

Pic 1 - Removed the plastic cowling in front of the windscreen to expose the air dam.

Pic 2 – The 2nd hand snorkel off a Mazda Bravo. I cut & blocked off the snorkel piece that goes through the fender and made a new entry point in the back to suit (do this AFTER the pipes and bends are in position!). I made up a rubber flange from a gutter stop plug (90mm I think) and attached with silicone and self tapping screws to the new snorkel entry hole.

Pic 3 – Cut a hole through the firewall and finished off with rubber trim. I had to relocate the security alarm first.

Pic 4 – Mounted a bracket on the A pillar using 2 self-drilling screws. (I used “make-a-bracket”)

Pic 5 – A bracket for the fender on to an existing bolt plus a self-drilling screw horizontally into the fender edge for stability

Pic 6 – The inlet rubber bend to which another 60 degree metal bend is attached. (this will depend on the snorkel you use – you could simply add a bend and run a pipe up the A pillar) I had to cut away a little of the sheet metal above the a/c air intake. I also had to cut a hole in the plastic cowling; finished off with rubber trim. Be careful with positioning so as not to interfere with the windscreen wipers.

Pic 7 – The plumbing in the engine bay

Pic 8 – The plumbing inside the air dam.

Pic 9 – Finished

To stablise the pipe that runs across the motor and to protect the distributor, I slipped a piece of radiator hose over the pipe.
April 3 2007: I'm adding the pics to the end of the thread

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
All ready to test out the float-ability of the Forester, eh? Looks good!

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Very cool :p
this site gives me WAY to many ideas, the wife is going to hurt me

·
Administrator
15,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, it has been tested MountainBiker!

GIT-R-DONE: More ideas coming up in the tire & wheel forum! ;)

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
78 Posts
What are some things to be concerned about when being in this much water? Anything else related to the engine?

L

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
If the water is deep enough and moving you could easily get swept away.
A snorkel in something like a Forester is more of an insurance policy than a license to get window deep. A car will float (for a short while till it fills with water) but in that time you can head off down stream with no way to get out of the water.
Water crossings are probably the most risk to both yourself and your car - so unless you are in crocodile country Id walk the water and check it (take a pair of shoes you dont mind getting wet - I have some neoprene slippers)

Here is me checking the water...

And crossing it...

Coming back was a sharp + deep enterance and you can see the water is about the same height as my intake. Ok it wasnt that sharp or deep - but more so than the other side where you just crept into water. Its easy to see how it doesnt take much for knee deep water to act like its waist deep!

Then coming back "the long way"

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
78 Posts
Awesome pictures. What all do you have done to your Forester? What tyres etc?

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Ive got Subaxtreme front and rear bumpers.
But stock Foresters were with me on that trip (a 4wd training course) and did those river crossings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some southern boys I once knew said they would route their intake into the cab behind the glove box. I like the idea of this stealthy option rather than having a large snorkel sticking up.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
78 Posts
I wonder how well that would work? Seems like it might be loud for everyday use. But it seems like you could have it as an option when you know you where going to be doing some water-play. Hum.....

·
Administrator
15,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought of this as an option - but decided not to do it for several reasons. There's the noise and it would create a vacuum in the cabin unless the windows were down. It would suck in dust / water into the cabin. And you would have to make a reasonably large hole into the cabin itself with inherent sealing problems etc.

·
Administrator
15,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the pics again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Nice. I think I may have already seen that video before. Looks scary but kinda fun. :)

Reactions: Kevin
1 - 17 of 17 Posts