Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So here I am trying to replace my rear shocks/struts on my 03 Forester and I think someone previously put the bolts in backwards. I can get the top one out no problem but the bottom one hits the back side of the hub assembly. I wish the wife had taken my truck this morning so I could take a pic but she didn't. Any ideas how to get that bottom bolt off without having to take the whole drive shaft assembly apart?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hmm.

How I did mine on the SG9 was to keep the three 10mm nuts on the top, and with a crow bar or another persons leg push down on the knuckle and wiggle the 14 or 17mm (can’t remember) bolts out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm trying to envision what you're talking about. That bolt that holds the bottom of the strut is reversed such that the bolt head hits the backer plate? While that isn't ideal, there should be some play after you loosen the top strut bolts such that you can bang that bolt back as far as it goes and then bang the bottom of the strut out.

If what I suggested above doesn't quite work and you don't want to mess with the hub and backerplate, you could cut the head of the bolt that's in there now out and smack it out with a punch. Then replace it with a new one that you obviously insert correctly, from the strut's side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I did. Was a pretty easy job. Took me longer to find a suitable replacement bolt and to cut the head off and pull the rest out than it did to replace the strut/shock. Thanks all for the ideas. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts