Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
233 Posts
Interesting nobody has suggested the radiator. My first impression was the radiator is compromised to some degree. When driving around town you are not putting a significant load on the engine; the present condition of the radiator can handle the heat load. When you run out on the interstate for multiple hours at speed, the increased airflow through the radiator compensates for the inability of the radiator to shed the heat load. And I suspect the engine is running a bit hotter than normal but not hot enough to turn on the dash board idiot light. When you slow down after a good run on the interstate, the airflow decreases but the engine is still quite hot, as is the coolant, and the radiator at this point cannot accommodate the added heat load with the reduced air flow. The coolant temperature spikes and you have an overheat condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The biggest problem with the head gaskets failing is due to the cylinder head configuration. The coolant does not completely drain away from the gasket area when the engine is turned off. It pools and eats away at the gasket. It is imperative that the gaskets get replaced with a premium set and an anti corrosive additive is mixed in with the new coolant! Also, water pump, thermostat and timing belt with tensioners at the same time.

·
Administrator
18,189 Posts
Interesting nobody has suggested the radiator.
Really! - did you actually read the thread? :rolleyes:

Is it possible that your radiator is clogged?
I was told water pump, radiator and hoses were done about 5k miles ago
I had my main radiator fan die
definitely start looking at the radiator. With these symptoms it seems like it's clogged
I can't think of what else could be causing this other than a radiator issue.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
275 Posts
Under the category of simple stuff first, you might pressure check the radiator cap. If it won't hold the correct pressure, that will allow the coolant to boil at a lower temp. The same pump used to check the system can usually be used to check the cap. You can likely get a loaner at one of the chain parts houses.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
233 Posts
Really! - did you actually read the thread? :rolleyes:
Get up on the wrong side of the bed did we Kevin? No, I didn't read every posting on the freakin' thread. You, being an administrator probably do. I don't necessarily have time to read every single post in a thread word for word and rather than say nothing becuase, well, I freakin' haven't read every damn post, I take a chance and offer some suggestions anyway. And if they help great, and if you get pissy because they've already been covered? Then excuse the crap out of me. Cheers mate.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts