Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
JDM 205 '08 Forester Sport XT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, this is my first post but I've visited this forum a couple of times. So hi everyone.

Yesterday I was driving my Fozzy at night and my dash lights were on. I stopped to use the restroom and once I started my car again I noticed that I had no illumination coming from my dash gauges. I still have illumination to all my warning lights, blinkers, high beams, door light, airbag, gear selector, etc... but I don't have any of the actual illuminations to the gauges. I've gone through and searched through this forum for hours with no luck. I still have illumination to my clock and my fog light and heated windshield buttons too. I'm not sure what could be causing this. I've checked the 10A fuse and it isn't blown, I've fiddled with the dimmer switch, I've even taken the cluster out and checked the bulbs, they all seemed fine except for one that seemed a little darker but no big difference. Plus I don't think one bad bulb would cause the other bulbs to turn off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@2.5x_sleeper I upgraded to LED Headlight and fog light bulbs about 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a real big issue with them besides the fact that my fog lights now trigger the high beams to turn on. I'll go out and check those fuses. Thanks Bobby.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@2.5x_sleeper Just checked fuse #2 and it looked good, the prongs on fuse #14 looked a little discolored but the fuse itself was still good. Hmmm

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,510 Posts
Got to run... laurel hedge trimming chore has to be done before then next storm rolls in! :(

Below is the illumination wiring diagram for the combination meter.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@2.5x_sleeper I just went back out and pulled out the wiring to the cabin fuse panel and found that there were some wires that looked like they were spliced into. I contacted the previous owner and he said he tried to do some fog light mod to get them to turn on independently but couldn't get it to work. Said he used the wiring to the fog light relay and a plug on the fuse panel which is why I think there was a splice orange wire. I'm thinking this caused a short to the BIU (Body Integrated Unit). Anyways, I fixed that wiring and still no luck, I'm considering ordering a used BIU from eBay and hoping that resolves my issue. It's only $20-$40 but I want to try some other things before I do that.

What systems does the BIU unit control? Would it make sense for the BIU to be responsible for the cluster not lighting up?

·
Administrator
40,510 Posts
@1SlowFozzy the BIU - Body Integrated Unit... also called Integrated Module, controls a multitude of things! It can be damaged if too much current is drawn thru it, like installing higher wattage bulbs or LED bulbs.

Basically... VERY simply put, the V - violet wire is the +12V & the OrW - orange-white is ground or -12V. The OrW wire originates at the BIU, this is how the brightness is controlled. A VERY simple description on how the BIU controls the illumination.

As to your BIU being bad? Hard to say, curious why it stopped working all of a sudden. if it was working for the previous owner. Once thing that does pop into my mind is this from your previous post.
I upgraded to LED Headlight and fog light bulbs about 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a real big issue with them besides the fact that my fog lights now trigger the high beams to turn on.
More information on the BIU here:
Bobby...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@2.5x_sleeper Now that I'm thinking about it, when I was driving last night I did smell a burning rubber smell. I just thought it was maybe a car in front of me or something else. I'll try and search for a burned up wire and if I find one then I'll just replace the BIU. Should I disconnect the battery when searching for this wire? Before I've just been unplugging the fuse box without unplugging the battery.

·
Administrator
40,510 Posts
Most repair manuals say to disconnect the battery, which is the safe way to troubleshoot electrical issues.

With that said, sometimes you need to troubleshoot with the circuit hot... energized. If you do, use extra care not to cause a short!

Bobby...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts