Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New clutch installed by area shop* at 180K, test drove and it worked fine but...only until it warms up, then it shudders on engagement. I can slip it into second when it does and the issue goes away.

Area shop* (drove by it for years) is permanently closed.

My daughter is driving it on the other side of the state, she got a good job so we're helping her buy a new Crosstrek (6-sp) and my son at Boise State gets the old car. Before he gets it I'd like to make it right.

Guesses before I pull it into the garage and start pulling it apart in a few weeks?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5 MT
38 Posts
My 2003 2.5X does the same thing. My guess is the shop that installed my clutch before I bought it probably installed an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate. When I first got the car I thought it was probably a loss of power because the head gaskets needed to be replaced. But since then I have replaced the head gaskets and even had the heads resurfaced and a valve job done. My car runs better, but I still have the stutter issue you describe once the car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a while. I even replaced the spark plugs with the ngk factory original plugs, that helped a little, but the problem is still there. I also changed the spark plug wires and all the vacuum hoses on the motor. I do notice that the stutter problem goes away when I have a full tank of gas, but when the gas tank drops below 1/2 full / empty the stutter problem comes back. This makes me think the fuel pump in the gas tank is getting weak. Also When I come to a complete stop and I'm waiting for the traffic light to turn green I notice if I pull the emergency brake up and take my foot off the brake petal the engine idles higher. Then when the traffic light turns green I don't have the stuttering issue as often. So I think the spark plugs may be loading up when I leave my foot on the brake pedal for very long.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
190 Posts
Check the release Fork on the clutch, I’ve seen a few people on here had clutch problems & the clutch release fork was cracked

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
711 Posts
Bad/cracked/flexing clutch fork, bad hydraulic master or slave cylinder(s), flywheel needs properly resurfaced, oil contamination of the disc (leaking rear main engine seal caused), all possibilities.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad/cracked/flexing clutch fork, bad hydraulic master or slave cylinder(s), flywheel needs properly resurfaced, oil contamination of the disc (leaking rear main engine seal caused), all possibilities.
With a whole new kit in there my fear is a bad flywheel surface which would require delving back into the guts.

Still working on getting the new 6M Crosstrek for the kid so I can get the old Forester back.

Appreciate the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts