Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,714 Posts
@soobydoobydoo this is a pretty common issue with the airbag connector under the seat getting loose, sometimes from items slid under the seat or from rear passenger feet hitting the connector. Normally pushing on the connector or unplugging & reseating the connector will clear the airbag light.

I should note that the SRS... supplemental restraint system is not functional when that airbag light is lit!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
03 Forester XS and I my girl's 04 Outback H6
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@2.5x_sleeper Thanks for mentioning this Bobby, I'm pretty sure I tried to disconnect and reconnect the connector under the seat when this light first appeared over a year ago but it didn't do anything. I will try it again and see if it makes the light go away. if not what else could I do to narrow down the source of the issue?

·
Administrator
41,714 Posts
Reactions: soobydoobydoo

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 speed
5 Posts
My airbag light is always on?

Any help you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Matt
My Airbag light was on after I had my radiator replaced. It had never been on before that. So I checked the two Impact Sensors on either side of the radiator, made sure they were both plugged-in okay, went back and checked, and the Airbag Light was off again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Airbag light was on after I had my radiator replaced. It had never been on before that. So I checked the two Impact Sensors on either side of the radiator, made sure they were both plugged-in okay, went back and checked, and the Airbag Light was off again.
Nice I'll have to check those out and see, what do they look like and where on the radiator are they located?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@arhargi @2.5x_sleeper

Does anyone know if this is the airbag connector I am looking for under the driver's seat?
Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire

I suppose I never disconnected this thing to reseat it cause I sure as heck cannot unbuckle it with all my might. I probably in the past assumed it was connected but now I want to disconnect and reconnect to be sure whether or not it causing my airbag light.

I have tried so hard with pliers and a flat head to disconnect it. I've tried multiple times and my tools are starting to chip away and break the plastic. any tips?

I'm real close to just cutting the connectors and splicing the wires directly.

What is the purpose of this connector anyway?
Hand Luggage and bags Finger Yellow Automotive lighting

Thanks!

·
Administrator
41,714 Posts
@soobydoobydoo "yellow" = airbag system wiring or connector. That connector has a lock that needs to be released, then it will pull apart easily.

As I recall, there are several connectors under the seat & each one has a different type lock. On that connector, I believe that green piece slides to release it. Not all the connector locks release as you would think they would!

Bobby...
Font Line Parallel Slope Art

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@2.5x_sleeper I tried it every which way to no avail. I would get the green part to slide pack and I would pinch the yellow part in but still no dice. I guess I'll just keep at it and if it becomes destroyed in the process I will just splice the wires. Thanks

·
Administrator
41,714 Posts
@soobydoobydoo I don't recall it being that difficult to detach?

My internet search found this that might help?
Depress the yellow tab, then slide the green bit back. You can release the yellow tab once you're holding the green bit back. Takes an uncomfortable amount of effort. Slide the connector apart once you've got the green bit all the way back.
► CAUTION - keep in mind you're messing with the SRS - airbag system wiring & if that air bag deploys, you don't want your face in front of it! :eek:

Bobby...

Reactions: soobydoobydoo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@2.5x_sleeper @Kevin
Good to know I'm not the only one, this connector is something else, I've been working so much I haven't been able to go at it again the last few days. I may try to get some help from my girlfriend, an extra hand or two in there might get it detached. Thanks y'all. I'll update ya once I get it off!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
► CAUTION - keep in mind you're messing with the SRS - airbag system wiring & if that air bag deploys, you don't want your face in front of it! :eek:

Bobby...
Bobby, If I spliced these wires is that what would happen? I figured if it was a connector it would mean the circuit is connected so splicing it should be the same as if it was connected correct? Unless this connector some function I'm unaware of.

I still cannot disconnect this connector for the life of me. I have tried so many times, I get it a little loose with the green tab pulled back but it just wont budge apart no matter what.

The airbag sensors appear intact and secure near the radiator.

All airbag related fuses under the steering wheel check out to good.

Other than this connector where else could I look for a fix to this airbag light?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
442 Posts
As mentioned in the linked thread, the clockspring ribbon in the steering wheel/column can break. The ribbon has multiple circuits in it, so one can fail, while everything else works. I had that issue with my '99 XJ Jeep. The horn worked fine, but the airbag light was illuminated. Since it was a $270 dealer only part, I never fixed it.

I don't know if the older Subarus have anything else in the steering wheel besides the airbag and horn, but I'm glad I never had any issue with my 2010, with all the additional stuff on the steering wheel.

Hopefully you can get the seat connector apart, and the issue is there, and not the clockspring. You could try some penetrating oil on the connector to get it to slide apart. Then just clean it up once apart.

Something like WD-40 should be pretty harmless. It will evaporate on its own in a few days if you didn't clean it with contact cleaner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts