Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was warming up my Forester before leaving the house yesterday. In neutral, clutch out, and suddenly there's a quick gear-grinding noise and engine dies. Start it back up, and as I'm easing the clutch pedal out, it begins to pull down like I'm trying to take off in higher gear and trying to move forward. Seems to be stuck in 4th/5th gear. I tried shifting it into various gears, no difference--although putting in/out of gear was like an arm wrestling match. Something seems to be stuck.
Other than being a bit finicky about shifting into reverse the last couple of weeks, I've had not prior issues.

Anybody encountered this? Is it time to swap transmissions or is there a simple fix?

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5 MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5 MT
68 Posts
From what you are describing it sounds like there really is a problem internally. I think your cheapest option would to go to your favorite auction site and find a used one with a warranty at a reasonable price. Also check craigslist in your area to see if a local auto salvage has a transmission that will work. It would probably cost more to take your transmission to a shop and have them rebuild it. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts