Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've had one problem after another on a 2003 subaru forester just got the power steering fixed and think it's possible sum oil may have gotten in plug 3, but cylinder 1 is fine, the closest to the power steering reservoir, and 2 and 4 wouldn't have gotten any power steering fluid in them, but was a little rough with the positive battery terminal and think one of the wires may have a broke connection? Any tips would be aporeciated

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
460 Posts
Have you got a multimeter, or can get one? You can test for continuity and the actual resistance of the spark plug wires. You’ll be able to see if there is a break in the wire, and also if they are still in the serviceable range.

Plug wires are compared using Ohms/meter (or some measure like that). I think the standard reference might be 6000 Ohms/meter.

Measure the resistance, then calculate the corresponding value for a meter e.g. XXXX Ohms / length in cm x 100 (or something like that). If less than or equal to 6k Ohms (or close enough to), then it’s serviceable, and if appreciably greater than 6k, it may need replacing.

Bear in mind you could also have arcing through the insulation, if it’s old or compromised.

Check that crankshaft speed sensor is seated firmly and tightened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yea, thankyou for the advice, I just replaced all the spark plugs, gapped it at .44 and tightened down to 15 ft./lbs. Hoping that will fix it, there was a bit of black on the old spark plugs, think some power steering fluid may have got into the valves since I had just got my power steering fixed, not to mention I didn't relearn my car's idle after messing with the throttle position sensor, thinking I'm gonna do that, and check to see if it works at the same time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts