Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Loose rearview mirror question...

Hey - just noticed that my rearview mirror is awful loose... I tried to adjust it once and it popped off in my hand.

Don't know if I'm missing a retainer somewhere, but it seems kind of silly having it installed so loosely.

I tried searching, but all I found was a mention of a spring - but I don't know what it looks like.

Any ideas and/or easy fixes out there?

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah, I have the same problem with no find of an answer. Sometimes when I go to adjust the mirror it pops off in my had. I had to the slide up into the bracket. I though all mirrors slide down? Did someone put the bracket on upside down?

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a slide-up too. Weird thing is, I'm used to the ones where there's a Torx screw to lock the mirror in place - yet this mirror doesn't have one.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,796 Posts
Hey - just noticed that my rearview mirror is awful loose... I tried to adjust it once and it popped off in my hand.

Don't know if I'm missing a retainer somewhere, but it seems kind of silly having it installed so loosely.

I tried searching, but all I found was a mention of a spring - but I don't know what it looks like.

Any ideas and/or easy fixes out there?
It should be tight. If it's loose, remove everything, including the spring & reinstall it. See if that gets it to seat correctly. I posted images here that should be helpful.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
94 Posts
i tried that. I might just use some heavy glue. I don't think ill ever need to get it off and if I do. . . bfh!!!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
190 Posts
I just fixed mine in 2 minutes in the dark. Its 90% better!:biggrin:

1) Take off Mirror
2) Take out spring
3) Flip spring over
4) Reinstall "flipped" spring
5) reinstall mirror

Saved $5+ shipping and no waiting!:bananapartyhat:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just waded through trying to sort out the most convoluted rearview mirror attachment I’ve ever seen to discover the single (insufficient) screw and the ever so hokey spring clipped treaded boss is stripped out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts