Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum.

I have recorded a video of a noise in my forester that seems to be getting worse. On light throttle while coasting, its a tapping noise. While accelerating, it is more of a hum. Sounds like a bearing? Not entirely sure

Any help is appreciated. I have had this forester less than a month.... it isn't off to a good start and I love this thing.

Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for prompt reply! Slight power steering whine when cold. Sometimes some slight chirps from the power steering pump when cold. The chirps are little short bursts. Almost sounds like a duck call lol

I should note, this noise only happens under coasting/acceleration. Never declaration. Also when the noise is evident and I put vehicle into neutral/let off throttle. Sound goes away.

Tried to replicate the sound In neutral while gaining speed down hill (from gravity) and the sound isn’t there.

Transmission shifts smooth and car pulls hard/smooth

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. Diff fluid was changed by the import shop when I purchased. Fluid looks clean. Wouldn’t a worn diff cause more of a howling noise and on acceleration AND deceleration? I have no noise while decelerating

Also worth noting the car is automatic and just rolled over 100k KMS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could be a bad wheels bearing in rear or front. I had similar sound with bad wheel bearings. This will not make any noise standing still of course.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It appears to be coming from the front left. So I could see wheel bearing. It sounds like a dried out bearing and there is metal/metal contact with no lubricant.

Is it possible for a wheel bearing to make noise ONLY under acceleration?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depending on how it’s worn out - yes. If you are handy you may be able to tell by jacking the car and see if there is and wobble or slop in the wheel when bolted in place with lug nuts. Good mechanic will identify the issue in minutes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Appreciate your input mike dell. I will jack it up and see what I can find. I did just replace a rear wheel bearing but it was a humming/typical wheel bearing noise. That noise in rear is gone since repair. Now the front lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update. I replaced front wheel bearing on the side that sounded to be bad. (Front left)
Since replacing (same day) the noise has gotten WORSE. The noise used to only happen when accelerating on throttle. Now the noise happens on and off throttle. Always on throttle, sometimes off throttle. Noise goes away when shifted into neutral. The noise sounds like a rotational metal on metal noise. Almost a squeak noise rather than a consistent metal rubbing. Noise Increases with speed. NOT increased with rpm/engine.

What I do know/important info
- 2003 JDM forester xt
-Ej205
-Automatic
  • front wheel bearing replaced on front where it sounds noisy
  • front CV replaced near where it sounded noisy
  • dust shield isn’t rubbing
  • slight pump whine. Worse when cold. Sometimes makes chirp sound when cold. I assume it’s the power steering pump
  • tires were rotated (sound was present before and after rotation)
When replacing the wheel bearing, the hub had a grind mark in it from previous owner replacing the wheel bearing and cutting it off instead of prying off. Don’t think that would cause an issue but I could be wrong.

Where can I start looking next? First month with my Subaru and I’m regretting this purchase.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,067 Posts
@krystalized_fozzie your new thread has been merged with your original thread on the same subject. No need to create a new thread when you already have an active thread with member replies. It's better to keep all the troubleshooting together, so what's been done is known.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
How about the pitch stopper? It can do weird things under acceleration.
That's the dogbone looking thing between the engine and the firewall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about the pitch stopper? It can do weird things under acceleration.
That's the dogbone looking thing between the engine and the firewall.

Edit: it took me a little while to find a video of what a bad pitch stopper may sound like.
That very much could be!!! I will check that! Thank you!

Edit - Went and yanked on that pitch stop. It moves the whole foz when I yank it. No play or clunks in it.

I took a newer video that demonstrates the noise better. On throttle until about 18 seconds then deceleration afterwards (with noise still)

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Is the front half shaft seated correctly into the transmission correctly?
Can't be sure but does the 2003 have the half shaft secured with a roll pin? Maybe that pin is missing and it is allowed to flop around. Or if it done with that newer ring situation, maybe it isn't locked or isn't holding? I'd pry in the area where it meets the transmission and see whether there's play.

I'd imagine it would make noise when you're just rolling but maybe it does weird things under load..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can't be sure but does the 2003 have the half shaft secured with a roll pin? Maybe that pin is missing and it is allowed to flop around. Or if it done with that newer ring situation, maybe it isn't locked or isn't holding? I'd pry in the area where it meets the transmission and see whether there's play.

I'd imagine it would make noise when you're just rolling but maybe it does weird things under load..
I will check that today! Yes, the front shaft has a lock ring. I replaced the front left side recently, it had a ring. (sound was there before and after replacement)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Update. No play in the CV.
I came across this video with similar noise. No confirmed diagnosis but sound is very similar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do 4eat have center diffs? I thought it was a clutch pack that controlled the AWD.

Does anyone think it could be U joint or rear driveshaft? Attempted to isolate it to the front by putting FWD fuse in. Seems to slightly help with deceleration noise but still evident when accelerating/coasting.

Should I replace trans or keep diagnosing?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts