Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add one of the navigation visors and a double din screen display to my 2003 forester x, however I would like to keep the existing radio in the car and wired to the speaker. Is it possible to hook more than one audio source up to the speakers, meaning the stock radio as well as one of the touch screen displays?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
4,601 Posts
Why would you keep the stock radio? You're playing with fire wiring to audio sources to the same speakers. You're going to need some sort of switch to disconnect one when using the other one.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,698 Posts
@Afinch03 really no reason to retain the old HU, as the new one will be the latest & greatest tech. In addition, those dash top double DIN PODs have been discontinued, so it's a sellers market... VERY expensive & for used a used part, if you can find one!

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: bman400

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
1,141 Posts
Just upgrade your head unit. Why would you keep your pos original head unit. You'll have better sound right out the box, Better navigation, with the additional upgrades for down the road. Of course all depends how much you spend on it.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
20,306 Posts
I would never connect two outputs to the same speaker without some means of switching. Too much uncertainty about the impact of one on the other.

Double pole / Double throw. No interconnection!

·
Registered
18 Forester Limited 19 Forester Premium
725 Posts
I've done it too without issues. I added a stand-alone cassette tape player to the 4 speaker AM/FM audio system of my car. In fact I did it on several cars. Being that the output of audio devices are low impedance, I was a bit scared on the first try that I might burn up the output drive transistors by reverse biasing them, but never had any issues.

Have things changed? Will what I did on a Mercury, a Ford and a Nissan 20+ years ago work on your near 20 year old Subaru? No clue....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.