Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a double din/ gauge pod housing to install my Kenwood DMX7706s to replace the center dash box. I also purchased a Forester cubby and radio pocket storage tray to replace the radio dash.

This is my current set up:

Are there any video/tutorial to move my stereo into the double din dash? Do I need anything else for this install? Such as extension cable for the radio.

Also, will the radio pocket storage tray fit in my 03 Forester xS? The post states it's an OEM for 04-08 Forester XT.

This is the end result I am trying to achieve.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
174 Posts
Where did you get the dash pod from? Would like to see if one is available for the 2001.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,450 Posts
@steve_k the fitment for that dash top POD is '03-'08, so it won't fit your '01. In addition, these are discontinued, so it's a sellers market!

I don't believe they had a navigation POD for the SF here in the States? Perhaps in the JDM, you could check here:

@AndrewN welcome to the forum from Oregon!

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
39,450 Posts
@AndrewN from what has been posted on the forum, the existing wiring harness can be routed to the dash top POD. It will be a tight fit, but no harness extension is required, especially if you're installing an aftermarket HU, as you'll be adding an aftermarket HU to Subaru chassis wring harness adapter.

I seem to recall reading the antenna cable will fit, but other posts say to get an antenna extension cable? I'd play it safe & have one on hand, just in case you need it!

Bobby...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@2.5x_sleeper Thanks Bobby! I just opened the dash and everything should be good. I just need to wait for the parts to come in. Do you know the screw type I need for the housing?

·
Administrator
39,450 Posts
@AndrewN screws for the housing, what comes with the POD, are course thread metric, but are SMS - sheet metal screws. My guess, Phillips, truss head SMS, #10 x 1/2" will be pretty close. I'm not sure you need "truss" head, thinking pan head would work, but what comes with the POD are truss head.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Manual
1 Posts
Does the pod provide good cover for the screen? I am in Aus and we aren't short of sunshine so just wondering if there is much glare/reflection in the pod location vs the standard location?
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 2.5
3 Posts
@AndrewN I keep forgetting to mention that dash POD is VERY difficult to remove, once it's installed. Nothing like the ease of removing the dash top cubby!

Bobby...

Hi Bobby,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm currently trying to replace the factory sat nav in my 07 XT with a double din Kenwood headunit.

Do you know if the factory sat nav pod is double din? And do you have any tips for removing the pod, is it simply connected by trim clips?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
39,450 Posts
@apitch welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Nothing wrong with posting to an existing thread. As to your question, take a look at this post in another thread[/url]

As to removing the POD... do you already have a dash top double DIN POD installed?

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 2.5
3 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper I don't have one of the specific double din pod's installed. Currently the car has the stock sat nav pod that came with the luxury edition of the XT that looks like this:
130863190_732804624300203_408386057346570347_n.jpg
I believe it is roughly the size of a double din unit (following this video:
).

With thanks coming from Tasmania!

·
Administrator
39,450 Posts
@apitch those were not sold in the USDM, as I noted in this thread:
Note the comparison on this post in that thread & the snippet below.

You basically have the JDM version of the dash top POD with a front panel, with controls. If you decide to install an aftermarket HU - head unit in place of what came installed in your Forester, you are going to have a VERY difficult time finding a "blank" front piece!

As to removing the installed POD...
This is for the USDM version, as I don't have any first hand experience with the JDM version. The trick is to pop it up a bit (first notch) by hand, then use a trim tool to pry it up the rest of the way. The dash is VERY soft, so use a cloth to prevent marring it with the pry tool!

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 2.5
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply and advice.

I'm not surprised the pod units are difficult to come across. I'd be hoping to swap out the gps unit and use the housing it is already stored in (including the buttons) leaving the buttons unwired. I presume I'll just have to do a test fit of the unit.

Art.

·
Administrator
39,450 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts