Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2003 - I think my timing belt has broken but I'm not sure?

('03-'05) 
2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Gearheads4 
#1 ·
I have a 03 forester that stopped running while going down the road. The break down was severe as it didn't sound good lots of clacking and banging metal sounds and the car lost all momentum and power. I pulled over and tried to start the vehicle and more clacking etc. So I towed it home and plugged in a code reader. This code reader is very confusing I really need help if possible desiphering these codes and see if it is indeed a timing belt break. This forester has 250000 on the odometer and no service done to timing components. I would really appreciate any info I can get as I can't figure these codes out and can't afford to tow the vehicle into suburu to have them tell me and then turn around and tow it back home. Thanks for your time and any help you can give
Gas Font Measuring instrument Gadget Electronic device
Gas Font Automotive lighting Carmine Electric blue
Automotive lighting Fluid Gas Gadget Font
Measuring instrument Material property Font Gas Rectangle
Fluid Bicycle accessory Measuring instrument Gas Temperature
Measuring instrument Fluid Gas Auto part Electronic device
Fluid Fixture Gas Font Electric blue
Fluid Fixture Gas Font Electric blue
Product Fluid Measuring instrument Plant Gas

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a socket set or wrenches, why don't you just look at the belt yourself ?

Is your Forester a Turbo or Non Turbo version? Manual or Auto? It would really help if you completed your profiles so others are able to provide accurate help.

If your Forester got to 250,000 miles with original timing components, you did not suffer a mechanical fault, it suffered a user fault. :giggle:

#8 ·
Right lol thanks man. I would have I just didn't realize what details were important. So it's a automatic non turbo. I do have some tools it's just I'm not sure what needs to come off to check the belt except the entire plate or cover for the front of the boxer that covers the timing components. I do appreciate your help and knowlage my friend. Thanks for the response

#3 ·
... stopped running while going down the road... lots of clacking and banging metal sounds... tried to start the vehicle and more clacking... plugged in a code reader...
I think the reader needs signals from the ECU computer of a running engine to generate DTC diagnostic trouble codes.
It looks to me like it requires the removal of accessory belts and a full cover, to be able look at the belt. The evidence of a broken belt seems clear enough without that.

#7 ·
The timing belt cover is in multiple pieces. On the SOHC (non Turbo model) it is 2 pieces and on the DOHC (Turbo model) it is 3 pieces. The piece on the right side (standing in front of the car, looking at the engine) can be removed by removing 3 bolts (using a 10mm socket). You'll be able to tell if the belt is "tight" on there or not once you have that cover off.

If that belt was indeed never replaced for 250'000 miles, you might have a record on your hands! It should have been replaced twice already!

#9 ·
We all gave thanks when Subaru introduced the 'lifetime' timing chain in 2011. The claim of 'lifetime' is still under evaluation, but reports of problems have been very few.

One of my greatest complaints about the timing belt was their also using it to power the water pump, an engine component that's important but not in an instantaneous death to the engine way. Pump failure can break the belt, which in turn can break the engine. The accessory belt is a much more intelligent choice for powering the water pump. Visible, easy to change, and small chance of collateral damage.

#13 ·
I've never heard of a timing belt failure that made a lot of metal clanking and banging sounds where the engine survived without internal damage, ie bent valves.
I've experienced a timing belt snapping while driving and there was no unusual sounds, just the car died. And the valves were bent.
I've also experienced rod bearing failure while driving, that made a lot of clanking and banging sounds

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.