Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2003 Forester 2.5X.

Recently, after about 20 minutes driving, there's a humm ...humm ...noise heard coming from somewhere in the front area at fairly low speeds.

The more acceleration - the humm ... humm noise gets closer together until its just a hummm that's difficult to hear because of the engine.

When the car is idling there is no noise at all.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Makingforestergreatagain I'm pretty sure you're right with the diagnosis.
However, it's certainly not a tune that will ever be #1 on the hit parade but it does get your attention.

Is the differential generally pretty durable, and lube works when the 'song' starts?
When is it too late for a lube?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Makingforestergreatagain New lube front and rear diff.

Right after the new lube, and for about an hour drive I could still occasionally hear the noise when starting to accelerate - it was there but seemed a bit quieter.
10 minutes from home, the sound seemed to be gone.

I didn't continue driving it to make sure it was gone because I want a stress free "disco' night, dancing to 'I gotta lube..I gotta lube'.
So for now, I'm happy to say the lube worked, and hope I don't wake up to a headache when I start driving it Sunday morning.

One important thing I forgot to do was check the size of fragments on the magnetic drain plugs when I wiped it clean ... duh!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Makingforestergreatagain

Saturday night was great.

Though no more 'disko' 'I gotta lube ... I gotta lube' songs in the Forester for me - I've gone old school.

Sunday drive in the country to the 'Sounds of Silence'.

Cheers, mate, thanks for the input!

ps. any cure for a hangover ;)

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Water and electrolytes, minerals from wholesome food, B vitamins, depending on diet and how much vitality you peed away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts