Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got the big new roof basket, will definitely be getting a spare tire mount and shovel mount. Would love to get a hi-lift jack, but I have NO freakin clue how to use one!! Anyone help me out with this? I would love to add it to my arsenal of recovery gear, but not without knowing how to safetly use one (and practice in my driveway before I go out). Any advice is greatly appreciated, and my little brain really likes pictures. :biggrin:

edit: just read that and it came out a bit wrong. I know how to operate a high lift jack, but what mounting points can I use safetly on the forester?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Kevin was saying that he opens his door and the hook will reach to the pinch weld sufficiently.

You should have a tow rope and some tree-savers. The HI-Lift can also be used as a come-along to yank yourself out of a stuck.

Jeep sites are good sources of Hi-Lift knowledge. How much are REAL Hi-Lift jacks? I see the ghetto ones at Pepboys for like $40, but I don't trust them.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. I knew I had read that somewhere. Pinch weld, that's like right under the door correct? What about if I need to jack it from the front or back?

I've got two tow ropes, a chain, tree savers and a bunch of other goodies in my recovery bag, which at the moment just sits in the back (and my dog lays on it), really want to get it into the spare wheel bay.

Plan on spending $70-$80 for a REAL hi-lift, plus ship. I'll be picking up the 48" one most likely. Can't think of why I'd need a 60".

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Sounds good. I wonder if I could mount the 48" across the BACK of the basket (width wise) instead of down the edge...

I think you are out of luck if you have to jack from the front or rear. Not like you can safely do that with the stock jack anyway.

I haven't tried, but I MIGHT be too tall for the stock scissor jack. That makes a HiLift a saftey requirement, right?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL yeah sounds like it!! I have a bottle jack I use when I'm lifting it up to switch tires or whatever, let me tell you that thing is NOT effective out in the bush. :icon_evil:

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,210 Posts
I wouldn't fancy using a hi-lift on a pinch weld jacking point that is only just barely strong enough for changing a wheel.

Plus, the classic hi-lift unstucking trick relies on jacking the front (or back) up 3 or 4 ft and then toppling the whole thing sideways, car and all, to land outside of the ruts you were stuck in. Jacking up the side of the car on the pinch weld wouldn't let you do that at all.

What you need is some sort of front bar that is strong enough to take a jack. Or maybe an attachment for a front receiver (there used to be a company that made a front receiver for the SF, not sure if they still make them).

-- Steve

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I can just jack up one wheel at a time high enough to get something underneith it, then the hi-jack would be worth it to me. Don't need to jack up the entire half of the car.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
The point of having a Hi-Lift on the trail, at least for me, would be in the event of changing a tire on the trail. The pinch weld is plenty strong to support the vehicle. When you put a car on a lift, you put the 4 points on the pinch welds. It's sufficient.

There is nowhere on the front of the Forester to be able to support the weight of the vehicle unless you could get to the crossmember.

If you had a full steel bumper, you COULD have high-lift slots. That would be awesome actually.

I really want a steel bumper like the ARB ones with shackles that mount directly to the bumper rail. You SHOULD be able to Hi-Lift off of those.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knock on wood, never popped a tire on the trail. I'm more likely to get stuck and need to get stuff under the wheels to clear the dif. However, being able to change a tire out there is absolutely necessary. I agree with BAC on this one, I always use the pinch weld points to jack up the car to change tires, can't see why I wouldn't be able to do the same thing in the woods.

I guess you could use the hitch to jack up the rear end if need be?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Where would you lift from?

I have a hitch, I wonder if it's stable enough to lift the car? I'd rather not try.

OH, when you get the jack get the big-foot upgrade. That way it'll work more efficiently on sand, mud, and dirt. It's detachable and you can keep it in the spare tire well.

There is a LOT of room in the tire well. I am putting an amp and my air compressor/tank in the well and I'll still have room for my tow-rope and some tools and stuff.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about using one of my tree savers to loop around the hook I have on my hitch. Who knows, I'd have to play around with it a bit.

Big-foot upgrade eh? Wouln't a block of wood work?

Good to know there's tons of room in there. I carry a decent bit of recovery/survival gear all the time and want to get it out of the cargo area. Also need to get an air compressor so I can air back up easy. Which one do you have?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
A block of wood would work, but it's less stable than the slip-on bigfoot thing.

I have one designed for train horns. It's a nice compact unit.

Can you list your survival/recovery gear?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah sure... Lets seee... In the winter this is obviously augmented with a sleeping bag, extra jacket, extra pair of warm gloves, yada yada. Most of these things are in my car all the time, some of the larger items are not such as the shovel.

• 200 piece first aid kit, supplimented with eyewash (why that's not included in them i have no idea)
  • 2 tow long tow straps
  • 1 tow chain
  • 2 tree savers
  • 4 prong tire iron
  • bottle jack
  • jumper cables
  • 2 MREs
  • Firestarter sticks
  • waterproof matches
  • 1 flare (keep meaning to get another)
  • pack of bungie cords
  • zip ties
  • 12" deer knife (more for intimidation than anything, it stays in my driver's side door pocket)
  • iodine tablets
  • a few trash bags
  • rope
  • dog leash
  • dog treats (to tempt stray dogs)
  • whistle
  • emergency blanket
  • multitool
  • a few ziploc bags (great for storing water)
  • tire chains
  • small ax
  • shovel
  • sunscreen
  • duct tape
  • electrical tape
  • 2 pairs of work gloves
  • 1 wool blanket
  • 1 pair wool socks
  • warm hat
  • safety glasses
Probably overkill, there are always things I'm adding or taking out. Many of these things are from doing cross country/long distance/endurance motorcycle rides.

If you carry anything I don't have on that list, let me know! I might add it to my bag.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahahahaha, I look at the length of that list and feel a bit silly... I've used almost every single item tho (often times not on the trail tho, maybe in a friend's driveway when he needs a ziptie or something).

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I have some similar items in my car but not that extensive. Hopefully I'll be able to efficiently package my gear in the tire well. I carry half a dozen road flares with me. At 15min duration each, it's worth it to carry a bunch of them. I think I live in a less rural area than you. There's no point in time when I would NEED iodine tablets in the car.

Oh well.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I take the car camping a lot too, so it's not just offroad stuff for me. Yes, need more flares. The one I have is only a 5min duration and it keeps bugging me that that's all I have. OH! forgot something. Big *** flashlight. LOL.

Now I just get to figure out what will fit in the tire well and what won't....

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I keep a 3-D Maglight tucked between the center console and the drivers seat. Fits perfectly. It's even a custom color!

You have PM by the way

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol a custom color maglight?? That's what I've got, cept it's just black. My favorite color. Besides Forester green. :icon_cool:

pm replied (jaw on floor)

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
I bought a plastic bin a few weekends ago that I can load up with emergency supplies, which will be filled this weekend. My list is almost identical to yours.

A few extra items:

• Empty water bottle (Nalgene)
  • 1 or 2 large candles
  • Toilet Paper
  • Small mirror
  • Basic hand tools

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh right, when i'm offroading or camping I take my mechanics craftsman tool set with me. Used to go up in teh basket when I had the small one, now it'll go up in the BASKET. lol. small mirror. good idea!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts