Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

New to the forum here. Got myself a bargain 2003 forester 2.5x.

It has a fuel leak though, so far I've tracked it down to two main areas. The biggest one being one of the fuel lines on the drivers side has corroded. My theory was to cut out the rot and replace with generic rubber fuel line if that's easy enough? The line in question is one of three on the drivers side, the metal line comes from under the rear seat, through to underneath the car and then changes to rubber hose, it is at this point that it is corroded. The line in question seems to have some kind of plastic connecter on it?

The other leak seems to be coming from the drain plug, doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere above. My theory was I could just coat the threads with ptfe tape and it might cure it?

Any help appreciated, trying to do things on a restricted budget.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,266 Posts
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

What you have there is the Fuel Delivery, Return & Evaporation Lines. The delivery line is a high pressure line, so it has a quick connect fitting. Refer to the diagram below for how to disconnect it.

Looking at the pipe corrosion, I wouldn't mess with that until you're ready to do your fix, as it could break!

You want to use fuel injection rated hose & double clamp, if you can, with 100% stainless steel hose clamps. I believe the hose size is 5/16", but you should verify that before purchasing. 😉

Bobby...
Line Font Parallel Triangle Art
['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Shakeman

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel tank leak fix

Got myself a 2003 forester with a fuel leak, thought I'd fixed it when I found corroded fuel lines but the problem reappeared today when I put a bunch of fuel in and parked it up pointing downhill.

It appears to be coming from the seam at the front due to corrosion and is fairly accessible as is. Now bearing in mind I paid next to nothing for this car and I'm on a tight budget I'm trying to look for an easy solution if possible. Some kind of magic sealer or something like that if it's possible?

I know replacing the tank is the only really way to guarantee a fix but it seems like a fairly big job which I am capable of but there's a whole load of rusty bolts under there. I'm also on a major budget with this car.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Premium Auto
2 Posts
Hey Duncan I currently have the EXACT same fuel leak on my '04. I hope you were able to fix it.

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,222 Posts
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

What you have there is the Fuel Delivery, Return & Evaporation Lines. The delivery line is a high pressure line, so it has a quick connect fitting. Refer to the diagram below for how to disconnect it.

Looking at the pipe corrosion, I wouldn't mess with that until you're ready to do your fix, as it could break!

You want to use fuel injection rated hose & double clamp, if you can, with 100% stainless steel hose clamps. I believe the hose size is 5/16", but you should verify that before purchasing.

Bobby...
View attachment 556345
Bobby, I have a leak on the delivery line. Are you suggesting to do away with the quick connector?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,266 Posts
@Shakeman As I recall... this thread is 4 years old, the poster had a leaking quick connect fitting, so an option was to remove it & installing 5/16" fuel injection rated hose, double clamped.

This would only work if you have sound metal tubing you could slide the hose onto. I would double clamp for safety!

Bobby...

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,222 Posts
Had i know these hoses were there (and exposed to the elements) I would have replaced them a few years ago when I replaced all the hi pressure hoses in the engine bay. Now i have a mess!

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,222 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper The only pixs I took were when I first got under the car to see what was going on, and those images are much the same as the original pix in this thread.

As for what I did for the repair, well that was a little different than what was recommended by you.

Once I got under there, I realized the leak was coming from the Return, not the Delivery as I originally thought. And, the leak was at the connection near the passenger compartment. ... ... I fashioned a small cutting tool from a hacksaw blade and cut the fuel line at the hose connection. I was hoping to completely remove the hose but I felt I was going to damage the other hose connections towards the fuel tank. It's a very tight space. So what I did was this -- I slightly cut back the Return hose and then slide a piece of 5/16 stainless steel tube into it. To do so I submerged the cut hose end into hot water for a minute and then slide the steel tube into it. Then I got a a new piece of fuel injection hose and slide it on to both the new stainless steel tube and the fuel rail that goes into the cabin. Again, I used the hot water trick for the new hose piece. All 3 connections were secured with two fuel injection type clamps (6 total) with blue thread locker. ... the hardest part of the job was laying on my back while working in a tight area. ... one last thing, before beginning work on it I thoroughly cleaned away 22 years of grime with engine grease & gunk remover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts