Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know of a 03 Forester, 2.5, 5 speed, that has a rusted through "K" member which I presume is the entire engine cradle bits. Not familiar with the front of a Forester at that level.

What is involved to replace that and what other stuff should be done at the same time.

Mileage under 250,000.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Not familiar if that bolts on or is welded part of unibody...what to elsr to check at that time,with quarter million on the clock...everything

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,258 Posts
@joea99 I seem to recall there was a Subaru recall on rusting out frames, for vehicles located in the "rust belt". You might takes some picture & post them so the member can see what you're looking at.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
If you have that much rust on the car, it probably isn't worth fixing.

A number of years ago, I wanted to teach myself bodywork and welding.
I love classic cars so bought a 72 bug. A 72 bug is not valuable and figured that screwing it up wouldn't make me feel bad. They are dime a dozen (not so much any more, tho). Paid 200 bucks for it, dragged it home from South of Boston.
It didn't look 'that bad'. It even ran and stopped. Just heater channels (VW rocker equivalents) and some side panels, from what I could see. No biggie.
Boy, was I ever wrong!! It is solid now, after I've replaced pretty much everything from a foot and a half up from the pavement.

If your subie is a rust belt car, multiply the rust you can see by at least five to guestimate total rot
Unless you want to learn bodywork and welding, I'd let it go.
Instead, you can probably get a nice newer donor car with a blown engine. Just don't get it south of Boston..

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,639 Posts
@joea99 -
Two words.
Run away...
Unless you really hate someone enough to invest in their misery, then buy the car, drop it off, and...
Run away...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts