Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium 6SP
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Subaru fans!

As the title reads, I saved a Suby. My neighbor's son, shipped off to Africa with the military, left his '03 Forester to degrade under a 50 foot Oak tree in his mother's back yard. Being a detailer, it about killed me to look at it from my window and see the bird and tree damage compound daily. I suggested they sell several months ago as I needed a car for my newly licensed teenagers. This week they decided it was a good idea. Finally!!

Now it undergoes some serious restoration detailing ... headlights need polishing, paint is terribly oxidized and bombed with bird poo, interior has many stories of past spillage, the motor is a dust bowl ... you get the idea.

Just ordered my set of WeatherTech mats, cleaned and polished the paint for an entire day today (LOVE the gold flakes in the black!), window tint will be in the near future, and I'll be looking to you guys/gals for ideas on what else to update.

John

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Cool, a neglected Subie gets a second lease on life! :smile: Welcome and good luck with the restoration!

·
Registered
1990 isoozooooo... 5MT
116 Posts
Your a new poster so if anyone else didnt write" Welcome!

pLEease be sure to do some before and after pics. Alsoo, any recommendations on how to do a real nice engine compartment? THANK YOU! :)

Now it undergoes some serious restoration detailing ... headlights need polishing, paint is terribly oxidized and bombed with bird poo, interior has many stories of past spillage, the motor is a dust bowl ... you get the idea.

John

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,235 Posts
Maybe you should change your nickname to "Forester-Samaritan".:icon_wink: :icon_biggrin:

Seriously spoken:
Welcome to the forum and well done!:Banane35:

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium 6SP
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the greetings.

pLEease be sure to do some before and after pics. Alsoo, any recommendations on how to do a real nice engine compartment? THANK YOU! :)
I am a bit of a nut concerning BEFORE/AFTER photos. Plenty to come.

As for cleaning the engine bay ...
1) Cover the alternator
2) Look for open air intakes and cover or avoid spraying water into
3) Liberally spray a degreaser (I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser) on everything
4) Gather your detailing brushes and go to town. Respray areas as needed
5) Thoroughly "mist" the degreaser and dirt off
6) Blow excess water off while wiping with a microfiber (reverse mode on a shop vac)
7) Apply a engine dressing if you prefer a glossy finish.

An important point for me is the "misting" of water. I use one of those nozzles that has about 9 settings from blasting to soaking to misting, ect. With a light mist of water you can confidently spray as close as you want without worry of injecting water into places that may harm your engine. The degreaser does all the work (with brushes), you don't need a heavy blast of water.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium 6SP
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry for my neglect in posting pics. Here are some of the BEFORE shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium 6SP
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And some IN PROGRESS and AFTER shots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Looks great, John.

Would you like this thread moved to the "member journals" section, which is where people usually share updates on their projects?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Went ahead and moved it there. I would imagine a lot of people will follow this there. Your revitalization of the Forester inside and out will likely lead to others doing the same.

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Welcome from Europe/UK! Great work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts