Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here again hoping for an answer. LOL. I bought a used automatic 2003 Forester XS six months ago. It had around 100K miles on it. After a month of driving, the transmission died. I took it back to the seller and he replaced the transmission with a used one. After only a few days, that transmission died the same way. Basically, as I am driving it, the transmission seems to clunk a couple times (possibly down-shifting badly?) and after that, it's toast. Won't reverse. Whines and only shifts in low gears. I took it back and he replaced it again with transmission #3. This one lasted about 4 months and now the same thing happened again. That is where I am now.

Could it be that something is causing these transmissions to fail? If so, what could that be? It is at a transmission place and they looked at it and said my speed sensor is bad and that could be causing it. They found aluminim in the tranny pan. Or that when they replaced the tranny, they didn't flush everything out properly. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
+2 I've heard of clogged tranny coolers killing tranns after trans. Tranny can't cool properly and the clutch disks inside it begin slip and quickly deteriorate before completely failing.

·
Registered
2003 XS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the tranny fluid was burned. It also had lots of metal in it, and they told me it always comes out burned in this case so you can't tell the tranny cooler is the cause of it or not.

The guy who replaced the previous one told me he flushed out the fluid so wouldn't he have had to make sure the flow was working properly then? Or is that a separate step?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
If the tranny cooler lines were not flushed after the original tranny died(before the new one was installed), that is what killed it. Any debris left in the lines contaminates the new tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts