Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a noise- rear right wheel sounds like it is rubbing ONLY when turning RIGHT- had this problem one other time- when i took it into the mechanics- where i bought the car- they said nothing wrong- just cleaned removed the rust and whatever they do-per their diagnostics-""slight noise from left rear backing plate" and has not made the sound again- this was June/09. I am not too savvy with cars- but this concerns me- it did not concern them...but the noise is back! Can anyone give me any insight to this. It happens ONLY WHEN I TURN RIGHT ! Thanks.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
it sounds like a wheel bearing, however the noise should get worse when you turn opposite direction of bad bearing. i.e. turning left should make the sound worse if it is the right wheel bearing because the load goes up then.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wheel bearing noise get's worse w/ time (weeks to months). There is no absolute urgency to replace, but when noise gets bad, you won't wait. Another way to diagnose is to raise wheel and turn by hand w/ your fingers on the axle end. Any roughness in bearing can be felt or heard w/ a stethoscope.

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts