Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester Auto
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Forester has about 114k on it. I am having a problem lately when ever I start it in the morning only in the morning after sitting all night. I will start it and it revs up to 1500-2000rpm and stay there for half a second. After that it will drop to like a rock to 500rpms and sputter and start to die then it recovers and its fine. No Check engine no nothing once its done its fine. Any Ideas before this gets worse?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,422 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester Auto
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been serviced to the tee based on what Subaru recommends and then some. As weird as this sounds I am hoping for a check engine light! It honestly run fine after this one cough its like as if the car is a smoker and goes though a lung clean out when it first wakes up in the morning.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A sticking Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) could cause your starting symptoms. As engine starts its supposed to idle faster. When IACV tries to adjust to a controlled idle speed, IACV may be sticking closed and causing difficult cold, low speed idle. A dirty throttle plate and bore can contribute to the problem.

A good cleaning of IACV, throttle plate, and throttle bore may fix. Pretty easy maintenance effort.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts