Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 79V XS MY Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 is losing coolant, it's not getting into oil or pressurising the pots, and not overheating as long as I keep topping up the radiator. Coolant level in Rad will go down a little just sitting overnight.
It's done 275,000ks. A mechanic found some coolant in the sump-guard when he removed it for a service.
Pretty sure it's a head gasket so I have to have them done.
Timing belt was done 70,000 ks ago. I'll replace it, as the motor will be out anyway. Anyone have any tips as to what else we should do whilst the motor is out?
Or any specific tips re: head gaskets? I know we'll use Fel-pro or similar, and new head bolts... anything else?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
There probably has been an element of over heating and pressurisation, that's why you have been blowing out coolant.

Always assume there's been over ehating and possible head warpage until proved to yourself otherwise. Take as much time getting the heads true as you do anything else.

New bolts like you mentioned are good. Any decent MLS gasket - Subaru, 5 Star, Fel Pro are all good.

Use Aisin timing belt kit and replace pump & tstat and all idlers of course. Anythjng the belt touches.

Repl;ace all belts and all cooling hoses.
Inspect all other engine hoses / pipes while engine is out and replace as needed.

Re[place plugs while engine out.

Good luck and keep us updated!! .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for your reply ForesterCub, but...
Quote: "There probably has been an element of over heating and pressurisation, that's why you have been blowing out coolant".

But: No overheating, No apparent pressurisation- coolant is seeping out overnight... gravity, not blowing, perhaps 150ml - 200ml loss overnight.
I will do the belt for sure, but all the other stuff, pulleys, pump etc were replaced only 70k ago.
As for the valvejob, well to be honest that'd REALLY blow the budget on this '03 car, (bear in mind that I'm paying for this work, 20 years ago I would have done it myself!)
THX for your input lads.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
No, offence,. I think you're making a mistake not replacing the idlers if they already have 70k on them. Faslse economy, They're rated as wear items for appx the same life as the belt 105k or months and will need inspection in at least 30k time.

Re 'valve job' - my guess is the otyher poster meant valve lash / tappets which is easy to do with the heads off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry sweetheart, great to have females here, and I should have been gender-neutral! Grease under the fingernails instead of varnish on top VERY good by me. Respect.
Here in Oz we refer to females as well as blokes as 'mates' which I reckon is a good thing, because it implies all the good things about friendship, sex notwithstanding.
(So, thanks mate!).

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Re 'valve job' - my guess is the otyher poster meant valve lash / tappets which is easy to do with the heads off.
At the very least, check and adjust the lash.

I meant exactly valve job , to include; pressure test and dye nspection for cracks. It would be a shame to do all this work for naught.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely, I'd always do the valve clearances after any disturbance to the heads, -goes without saying. I'll trust the mechanic to check for head distortion / cracks etc. But dye inspection is not cheap, remember this '03 isn't worth much at all, so it's a matter of being pragmatic... fixing what needs to be fixed now and what might go wrong in the near future, without spending excess dollars on it. If I were doing it myself yes I'd grind the valves, hone cylinders and put in new rings, etc etc, but I'm not unfortunately.
Chances are, (hopefully) it's just the gaskets as these were known to be substandard from manufacture. I can get the HGs and Belt done for around $1300, which I think is good, but very much more would be throwing good money after bad, know what I mean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts