Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester XS and I my girl's 04 Outback H6
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quick thread, hopefully in the right section.

Will this repair fly?

I used this Bailcast CV Boot Repair Kit and I cut the boot too short to clamp tight by normal means.

So I used some Gorilla tape to secure the wider end to the outer race. Then I used the crimping tool to get the clamps as tight as I could. I really did not want to have to buy another $25 kit so I'm hoping this is good to go. I'll check in on it regularly once driving but if you have an opinion I'd love to hear some thoughts!

Here is a vid of the play I currently am getting on the lower clamp and I'll include some pictures for context as well.

Thanks!

Before the tape:
Tire Automotive tire Gear Tread Wheel

Before the clamp, 2 layers of Gorilla tape:
Automotive tire Tread Tire Suspension Synthetic rubber

I actually acquired the right tool for the job:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Suspension

Clamps tightened but top one all sideways due to boot cut wrong, hence the reason for gorilla tape:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
2,241 Posts
I patched a hole in one of my boots and injected some grease to replace that which was expelled from the hole. I little bit of grease flings out but I clean it up from time to time. One of these days, I'll fix it properly. Until then, I'll continue to inject grease and patch the hole. I use a veterinary syringe and big needle to inject grease. The needle is very sharp and pierces the boot easily.

Something like this:

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
629 Posts
Try a Beck/Arnley (vehicle specific boot kit) or an OEM boot kit if doing it again. However the OEM boots will always outlast the aftermarket by far.

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean Edition
90 Posts
no, the tape will not last any time at all, but the boot will do it's job for a while. ime, these types of fixes are well enough to keep the grease in. it's just not very durable and it's not 100% for keeping out contaminants. especially for periods of crappy weather and/or country roads

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your feedback everyone!

What am I gathering is it will last until it doesn't lol @Kevin

But hey I'll spend the $25 on another Bailcast if I have to, but lets see if I get 6-12 months before I have too.

So this what I done did so far...

I just went nuts on it with more Gorilla tape and zip ties!
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim

...and then I went nuts with more Gorilla tape on top that.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

Couple questions though:

(silicone tape) may be a better solution.
tbh, I never heard of Silicone tape before... What about it has you suggest it? I just went for Gorilla tape because it's what I had laying around. now I'm curious about the silicone tape.

Fun fact: my favorite tape in the whole world is electrical tape :p

You can try to singe weld a few spots to help
What do you mean by "singe weld"? , I've also never heard of that.
One of these days, I'll fix it properly
Thanks for the inspiration to just make it work. I'll properly fix it later... if I have too ;)

Centrifugal force may cause the tape to peel
I'm very curious to see what happens, you're right, I don't have much to lose!

Well.....at lest let us know how long it last. For science at least.
I'll keep y'all updated!

I've been working on doing the heads and timing belt since January, I believe I'm almost done so should be driving real soon and will share how it holds up.

---> btw this is where I'm at on that if you're curious at all. <---

Thanks again!

-Matt

·
Administrator
20,343 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I still have some flex seal tape left over from my first attempt at fixing this 2 years ago lol. Then I just wrapped the existing torn boot with it after filling it with grease. It absolutely did not holdup lol.

this time it has the Bailcast boot and the old one gone so I’m hopeful for a little longevity

1 - 20 of 21 Posts