Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Skeptic
2004 XT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn left (parked or slow speed) I hear a clunk from the front someplace. Seems to clunk 1 or 2 times turning to the left and then back to center from the left. It's not very loud and once at any sort of speed, the road noise (I assume) over rides the clunk.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
I'm guessing it is the ABS. Notice the pedal pushing back or weirdly? Then it is for sure.

·
Skeptic
2004 XT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens when I'm not using the brakes, so I don't think it's the ABS. Seems like maybe something in the steering.. I can feel it in the steering wheel (very slightly).

Scott

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
OK...I guess I read your post wrong. ABS is known to kick in during sharp turns when braking due to the differing rotation speed of the two wheels. In the old forum there were a couple of threads about this, but we currently don't have access to them.......... :x

D

·
0 Posts
You say you can feel it in the steering wheel and it does it when parked?

Can you have someone sit in the car and turn the wheel while you are outside the car? This will help you determine where the noise is coming from.

My guess is bad rod end.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Either that or...

...your Forester suffers from a disease called "NASCAR syndrome".

I'd say the symptoms point to a tie rod end replacement, personally, which will let the car focus more on its true heritage of RALLY.

:wink:

·
Skeptic
2004 XT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully it's not "Nascar syndrome" as that sounds like a deadly disease associated with redneckery (TM). I'll keep an eye out for spontaneously appearing advertising logos on the fenders and hood...

In the meantime, I'll try listening from outside the car while someone turns the wheel. If it's a bad rod end, can I also somehow diagnose that when the car is on jack stands?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I really miss having access to the thousands of useful threads in the old forum.. :(

But, I do appreciate the advice very much. :D

cheers,
Scott

D

·
0 Posts
You would be better to do it with the wheels on the ground. More resitance so more likely to cause the problem. You can try it on jack stands and see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to see a fellow Forester owner in the Triangle area. I am having a problem with a clunk coming from the driver's side front. It has been diagnosed as a loose strut mount. I have been quoted $700 to replace them all, so i will wait it out until absolutely necessary. I hope this helps.

·
Skeptic
2004 XT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, SSR, thanks for the info. $700 is crazy. Is your clunk related to steering or does it show up when going over bumps? Or both?

I plan on getting under the car this weekend and putting some torque on the tie rod end bolts to see if it maybe that fixes my problem.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
I only hear it when i take a slow turn, usually to the right, including in reverse. Good luck with the repairs. When it doesn't compromise safety, some things i have to learn to live with for the time being.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
stainless steel rat said:
Good to see a fellow Forester owner in the Triangle area. I am having a problem with a clunk coming from the driver's side front. It has been diagnosed as a loose strut mount. I have been quoted $700 to replace them all, so i will wait it out until absolutely necessary. I hope this helps.
What the heck is a "loose strut mount"?

A

·
0 Posts
It looks like mine had this clunks before.
It appeared after driving some time and having brakes engaged a bit while turning wheels left of right and moving slowly when parking of making sharp turns.
But I noticed that they disappeared after I had 48kkm service (or so. The one that has brakes inspection). The reason is that they lubricated some parts that hold front brake pads and it eliminates the noise. After another 35-40kkm I hear it appears again but I don't care as of now. If I have some time I would try to do it myself or maybe will be waiting till next scheduled maintenance at 96kkm.

·
Skeptic
2004 XT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after procrastinating forever (well, not really, I've been out of the country and down with reconstructive knee surgery for the past few months), I got the FXT up on jack stands today to see if I could isolate my noise. It only took a couple of minutes to identify the problem. The accordian boot over the passenger side steering rod's joint is slightly clunking/popping over the joint as it contracts. The boot seems to be a bit crooked causing the internal rod joint to pop past a couple of the accordian folds. I pulled down on the boot to better center it on the rod and pushed the wheels with my feet - no clunking/popping. So, nothing serious at all I guess.

Scott

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester S
19 Posts
When I turn left (parked or slow speed) I hear a clunk from the front someplace. Seems to clunk 1 or 2 times turning to the left and then back to center from the left. It's not very loud and once at any sort of speed, the road noise (I assume) over rides the clunk.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Scott
My car has that issue. It could be the CV axle joint. Check the boots to see if they ripped. That is said in the manual and I had another thread. I havent fixed mine yet. But when the boots rip, the dirt and grit get in there and the grease wears out and dries. Then it gets to metal-on-metal contact. They have rebuild kits for them, or you get them at advanced auto parts, O'Reilly's, or AutoZone. They are also in Rockauto.com and that is what was recommended to me. To buy from Subaru, it cost $400 for only 1. So the price is better. But thats just me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts