Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1993 2.5X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, great site - first post. I have a 2003 2.5XT with clock on the dash that does not light up at night, but still keeps time. Do I need to replace the clock or just the light. I saw the great post on the overhead clock repair. Also, if there are suggestions on disassembly of the dash so I do not break it, would be a great help too.

Thanks
Tom V from Oregon

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,849 Posts
They use a miniature incandescent bulb with a green rubber/plastic covering (condoms) to give the green color.

The bulb access is behind the clock (red), so you need to carefully pry under the plastic that extends in front of the clock (part of the cubby/storage compartment). You will be popping up the storage cubby. There are no screws, it just pops up & pulls off. If you haven't done this before, you'll think it's going to break, but it does pop up. Once I get the plastic up a bit, I use my fingers so I don't damage the plastic. Once you get it up, you'll see the wiring for clock & where the light bulb is installed. You can unplug the wiring & lift off the entire cubby unit with the clock. This will make it easier to remove the bulb.

I added a picture of the bottom of the cubby/storage compartment. The wires coming out of the bottom are for a gauge POD, so they will not be on yours. I hope this helps.

Good luck & welcome to the forum!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
2003-2005 have a replaceable bulb. It's that small red holder in the clock rear. Turn it 1/8 turn ccw and it comes out. Long nose pliers help for this.

Then the bulb is a wedge mounted bulb. Wiggle it back and forth in the direction of the side openings and it comes out. It's held very tight by that red base.

Go to the dealer for a replacement 85068SA020. It lists for $6. It comes with the RED BASE, so if you are using the Subaru replacement, no need to try and remove the bulb from the base.

2006 and newer incorporate the seat belt warning lights in the same assy and NONE of those bulbs are replaceable.

·
Registered
1993 2.5X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Thanks for the great information and picture. Sure is nice to have experts help with this. My appreciation for answering and to the hosts of this site.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester
1 Posts
Clock light - Dash mount

Great posts. Dealer wanted to replace whole clock for about $69, but clock they had was for overhead mount. Would be first of year before they could get correct one. I think service mgr forgot that original complaint was lack of light. Once I found description by 2.5x_sleeper, it took trip to parts store and few minutes. I used bulb from Auto Zone - LIGHTING TECHNOLOGIES #2721, about $3 for two. So far, so good.

:new_multi:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
43 Posts
Thanks for the great help. I am a "poor" mechanic but was able to fix the clock light using this posting. I purchased a new bulb from the dealer. You do feel like the compartment may break as you pry up the front of it with your fingers. Note: pay attention to the way the bulb is removed with needlenose to replace it with the new one the same way. The old bulb come out a lot easier than the new one goes in!

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5L XS
8 Posts
03 Forester Clock Illumination

Using the Subaru part number posted earilier in this thread I called the dealer only to find out it was not in stock. So, I pulled on the bulb and it released from its red socket. Took the bulb to Advance Auto and bought a two pack of bulb number 2723. It fit the socket perfectly and the clock is not visible at night. Russ

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
These instructions were PERFECT!

I picked up a two-pack of Sylvania 2723 from Advance Auto for USD $4 and change.

Notes:

Used a butter knife to help lift the dash pocket/clock assembly, it did not hurt the dash at all.

In order to remove the bulb from its tiny red housing, I (lightly) shoved the needle-nose down into the two grooves int the housing. This separated the "grip" on the bulb just enough that the bulb came back out with the needle-nose. I trued for several minutes to jiggle it out before I figured out that little trick.

Posted the action on facebook, and INSTANTLY a co-worker with a Forester commented that she would like to do the same thing, lol.

Cheers and THANKS FOR THIS THREAD!

·
Registered
2017 Canadian Touring CVT
19 Posts
The light behind my clock in my 2003 Forester XS Premium went out recently.

I ordered the replacement light from the local dealer here in Ottawa part number 85068SA020 it cost $8.xx I think. Came to $9.36 CAD.

I popped out the hatch, pulled out the bulb and twisted the new one in. Works great now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Car
269 Posts
I know it's an old thread - but I just used it to fix my light behind the clock on my 2003X - been annoying me for ages and cost a mere 55p!

Type is a '286' bulb apparently...!

·
Registered
2004 Forester MY05 2.5XS 5MT
5 Posts
This thread is genius! I had the same problem, blown bulb. I'd just like to add that I didn't need any tools to pull everything out. Didn't need to pry anything to hard, the cubby just pops off nicely without scratching anything. Also popped that tabs holding the clock in with my fingers :)

also, to pull the bulb out of the red housing I used a microfibre cloth, like the ones you clean your glasses with. I put the cloth over the bulb and a bit on the housing, this gave it a really nice grip and the two pieces pulled apart real easy.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
8 Posts
Thanks for this tutorial. The job is easier than described! A few minutes and my wife is off my back about this. I was dreading tons of interior disassembly but this was a snap. I used the '21' bulb. But I had to pay $5 at Advance.

:banana::banana:

·
Registered
2004 Forester
55 Posts
Thanks to this thread I replaced my 2004 Forester clock back light today.
Got the bulb from Advanced Auto Parts, Used SYLVANIA 74LL bulb.
2 bulbs in a pack for $5.30. Took me all of two minutes with NO tools.
Just my bare hands to pull up clamshell pod and twist out red bulb holder.
Viola!
Back in business.

·
Registered
2004 XS
4 Posts
Nice! I just replaced mine in a few minutes.

A set of two Sylvania 74LL were $4.50. It's a very close match, but not exact. The 74LLs were very slightly longer and wider on the bulb side (on the order of millimeters), but the contact side fit nicely in the little red housing.

I noticed that the light came on once the red housing was reinstalled, while the key was turned to accessory. I imagine that these burn out because they are wired to accessory power and thus always on when the car is on, not just when the headlights are on. Oh well...cheap and easy enough fix!

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
22 Posts
Forester Clock Lamp Replacement

As these cars age, I'm sure this issue will surface more and more. I posted a video after I learned how to change the bulb. Enjoy!

Link

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11UQk7G23U"]Subaru Clock Lamp Video[/YOUTUBE]

·
Registered
2004 legacy gt man
26 Posts
just looked at the video, very helpful thanks. I had my hatch out last week trying out the double din dash pod i am planning on installing a NAV unit in and when the original hatch went back in the clock bulb went out. GRRR.

You are right about how often you look at that clock when it is dark! I am going out tomorrow and getting a new bulb in there. I was thinking i could live with it but it looks really easy to change.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.