Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester X
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a 2005 Outback prior to my current car. It got into a nasty collision and has long been junked, so I'd have to check junkyards instead for this piece if it could fit, but anyways my 2003 SG has an intake that just sucks air from the engine bay. I prefer what my 2005 did, which was suck air from the gap between the hood and grille. Prior to that, my 2005 Lancer did something similar. I am aware the shapes are different and that clearances may be an issue for the Outback, plus the fact that the Outback has a MAF where the Forester has a MAP.

Not looking to increase hp or anything -- just looking for a more efficient intake shape. Dunno if you guys had ideas.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,401 Posts
@Tao with MAP, you have more options than with MAF. You could do something like this... a DIY Cold Air Intake modification:
► Disclaimer - NOT a recommendation, as we don't have that installed on either of our Foresters.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
03 Forester X
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose i /could/ but that's a bit more involved than I was thinking. I'll see if on my next junkyard run I can get some inspiration.

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
@Tao looking at the stock '03 intake, I believe there is an opening... not sure it's utilized on the nonturbo, but it allows access to fender well to source cooler air outside of the engine compartment [1]. Of course you do have that cool air intake from the front [2].

Bobby..
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Gesture Font Parallel Slope Art

·
Registered
03 Forester X
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i'm not going with the fender idea, but thank you guys anyways. Looking to simplify things and improve the ability to resist water ingestion -- not make it worse.

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
It's not used, however a word of advice; if you regularly travel on dusty roads I would not have it suck air from inside the fender. ;)
Of course there's always a "catch" when you modify from "stock"! :(

Our Foresters are modified for power & paved streets performance only, so no issues with excess dust. ;)

Bobby...

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
improve the ability to resist water ingestion
Just don't hit any deep water while accelerating with the standard intake though as water can be sucked across the top of the "snorkus" box and into the engine resulting in hydrolock; you may ask how I know this :) : holes in the block / bent conrod / smashed piston

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Trigger Rim
Automotive lighting Gas Cameras & optics Camera accessory Auto part

·
Registered
03 Forester X
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in a floodplain -- never lost a car to the floods here, but they're getting worse and I just wanna give myself a few inches heheh. I'll figure out something guys.

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester X
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I uh, don't wanna go that route. But I have an idea. Gonna look and see if I can get a hood attached intake, then bolt it to the fender, then build a custom tubing to suck air out of the side of the hood.

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
@Tao My snorkel is attached to and sits on top of the fender ;)

There's a thread here:

·
Registered
03 Forester X
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool cool -- it's pretty neat fwiw. I'll probably make a thread soonish. It turns out I found a part I want on a Mitsu Pajero while randomly browsing eBay -- now the bubba gears are turning :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts