Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2003 Forester X 5MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies and Gents,
I just picked up an 03 Forester X, and here is one of my issues.
So currently the horn and hazzard light fuse has been pulled because when it is installed the 2 right side flasher lights are on, not flashing just on, at this point my blinkers still work and flash as needed, when I press the hazzard light switch all the blinker lights come on steady not flashing and my blinkers do not work at all.
This also happens when I activate the hazzard light switch and the fuse is removed, blinkers do not work

I have Tried a new flasher relay, same story.

Anyone have any ideas on this issue??

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,111 Posts

· Administrator
44,111 Posts
@Chickenleggs just to verify, your remote fob works normally... locks & unlocks the doors?

The reason I'm asking is that the wiring diagram tells me that fuse also powers the keyless entry module.
Font Rectangle Number Event Electric blue

Also... have you inspected the trailer connector?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,592 Posts
Make sure that the parking light switch on the top of your steering wheel isn't on. It's been a while since I had a Subaru with that "feature" but that could be why your lights are staying on.

I'm not sure how that might affect the hazard function, but it could be the solution to your primary issue. (You might also have burned out parking light bulbs on the left side, if only the right side are staying on.)

· Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
21,907 Posts
A fundamental question. No insult intended. On US spec Foresters of that model, there are two large rocker switches - Parking light on top of the steering column, and Hazard Lights in the center of the panel. Pressing the wrong one would produce the symptoms you describe. It's considered a part of the Forester initiation ceremony.

The Parking Light switch went away in recent model years.

· Registered
2003 Forester X 5MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The keyless entry fob works as it should although a little slow at times. No key warning sound either unless fuse is installed.

I have not inspected the trailer wiring plug, what should I be looking for??

The parking lights are the red lights on the rear and the little round lights in the headlight assembly.
The orange lights for the flashers is what is staying on.
I know one of the red parking lights at the rear right is burnt out. Would that be a possibility?? Kinda weird ??

· Administrator
44,111 Posts
I have not inspected the trailer wiring plug, what should I be looking for?
Cargo area, on the right side, is the carpet wet? If dry, check the connector to make sure it's not corroded & melted.

As to the keyless entry working. Looking further, there are multiple power feeds to the Keyless Entry Control Module, so it can be partially working...

Bobby...
Font Parallel Auto part Rectangle Drawing

· Registered
2003 Forester X 5MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carpet seems dry in the back, no leaks at all that I have found.
I tucked the trailer wiring back into its hide hole the other day and all seemed clean and dry, didn't look to closely at the wires though

Pulled the trailer wiring and replaced burnt parker bulb in the back on the right, no change.
I noticed today when the fuse is in and I activate the switch that the flasher clicks once,

· Administrator
44,111 Posts

· Administrator
44,111 Posts

· Administrator
44,111 Posts
@Chickenleggs since you just acquired the Forester & it came with this issue, any chance you could contact the original owner to ask when this issue started? This could speed up the troubleshooting!

Pulled the trailer wiring and replaced burnt parker bulb in the back on the right, no change.
I noticed today when the fuse is in and I activate the switch that the flasher clicks once.
This could be a clue! Do you have any other lights that don't light?

Bobby...

· Registered
2003 Forester X 5MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can see if the previous owner can remember.
The fog lights don't light, the button has the little green light that illuminates when pressed.
Haven't had a chance to check bulbs yet, fuse is ok

1 - 20 of 35 Posts