Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone installed this OEM themselves? I have an 06 X, stock exhaust and was quoted $300 for the hitch locally and $200 to install it. I can order it for $230 online and pay $26 shipping. I was also looking at the Hidden Hitch for $150 but when you add the wiring harness, the price between the two is only around $60. I want something hidden and 1.25" is ok for my needs, bike carrier. I suppose I don't need a wiring harness at all if I'm only carrying two bicycles.

I want to hear comments from those who installed a Hidden Hitch or OEM.

Is losing the tow hooks that important? Can't they hook to the hitch?

I don't like the 2" hitch, it hangs so low and looks bad to me but 2" a hitch is more useful in the future.

Thanks!:biggrin:

Hidden Hitch 1.25"
http://tinyurl.com/2ax39g8

OEM 1.25"
http://tinyurl.com/25ezn7b

Quality S 2"
http://tinyurl.com/2dowtxc

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
I just got my OEM 2008 hitch off Craig's list and plan to learn now how to install it..So far I know I have to drop exhaust and then go through the wheel well with the wire harness bolt it up and....I'll have to read more..There should be common sense involved too, I would imagine..

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
The install is fairly simple. I think 2 bolts on each side, and 3 in the middle. You need to undo an exhaust hanger to get the hitch in on the driver's side, and loosen the charcoal box on the passenger's side. There is a hole in the middle that goes into the spare tire well for harness.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I saw a video on etrailer but was wondering if anyone had installed an oem model themself. I ordered one so if it comes with an instruction sheet, I'll post it.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
^^Sweet guys^^
No time yesterday, 16 month old going on 16 or 18 years...sheesh!
Maybe Friday or Saturday for the install..I will take pics and post as time permits with boy, you know how it goes.
Dan

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
150 Posts
I recently installed a uhaul hitch, which people say is the same as the subaru one just without the stickers. it cost me $150 and took about an hour of my time, I love turning wrenches so it was fun to me. its very simple and I wouldn't have wanted to pay some $50 to install it. The hardest part is hetting to the bolt that holds the carbon canister(charcoal box) bracket in place. spray a little PB blaster or any other type of light oil/penetrating lube on the rubber hangers for the muffler to get them off easier, have a floor jack or a friend help you hold the hitch in place to bolt it up and you've got it beat.

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
The Curt hitch I installed looks really close to the oem one also. Easy install. Got mine from a member here for $100.

If you have tools I wouldn't waste the money on the installation. You may need a breaker bar to get the bolts off initially though. Mine took a bit of torque to loosen.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed mine today as well. It is pretty easy. The hardest part was balancing the hitch with my legs because I have no jacks or helpers. I still wish they made an OEM 2" version but all I need is 1.25 for now anyway.

I didn't know it came with a ball mount bar. If you think about it, the wiring harness, ($45-50) and the bar mount ($40-45) are included so it comes out about the same as buying a cheaper $150 hitch, then a wire harness, then a ball mount. It still comes out to about $240. I paid $237 for mine and $26 to ship it.

Now to finish the bike reconditioning...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts