Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an 03 with 167,000 miles on it for $2.9k. Craigslist ad. Sold by the mechanic who just replaced the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gasket. That was all done in the last two weeks. Both the exterior and interior look great. No rust. No irregular noises. It just passed Virginia state inspection. Regular oil changes since 90,000 miles. Don’t know anything about first owner who had it up to that point. No maintenance records.

I am looking at this as a second car for me and my partner to mostly be used for hiking trips (needed something that would be good on gravel, unpaved, and forest roads) and occasionally around town. We do not drive very much as we often bike for transportation. So I don’t expect to put a ton of miles on the car real quick but would like it to last.

With the recent major repairs, is it reasonable to expect this car to last a while if it is serviced well and regularly?

How does the price feel? It is the upper limit of kelly blue book value.

Is there anything particular I should be thinking about/ask about in regard to this particular model?

I’ve never owned a Subaru before.

Thanks y’all!!!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,748 Posts
I would say go for it, since it has no rust. I just paid $2800 in repairs for my 2001 for the 2nd set of HG, head machined, etc.., water pump, timing belt, idler, etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow. Ok. What mileage were you at when you had to do all that again? I assume you are saying it was the second time you replaced all of that.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,924 Posts
Everything sounds great, though it would be good to inquire whether the recent timing belt job included the associated idlers and tensioner. The mechanic sounds like a very thorough guy, so I would expect that he would consider them to be a routine part of the job. But it would be good to be sure. Breakage of anything that touches the belt can break the belt, which in turn breaks the engine.

My 2003 was with me for 225k miles, and I could have kept it longer than that, with a bit more maintenance due soon. It did have two 105k mile timing belt jobs.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
1,086 Posts
Since his shop did the work will he give any warranty? Mine gave 12 months on the rebuild enginge. Going into year 5 with the car and work was done year 1 of ownership.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,924 Posts
Ask gently. He sounds like a good guy.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
192 Posts
Saw this ad, was it blue? Looks like it is one of the better deals based on how others are priced too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was that one indeed.

Sadly, it got sold before I could see it.

However, he did say he is currently working on a 07 Outback with 141k miles in the $3.8k-$4.5k range which is definitely interesting.

Thanks again for all the comments!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts