Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I'm at a complete loss here. I have an 02 Forester with about 176k miles on it. I drive for food delivery, and was backing out of a customer's driveway. Hadn't shut the car off, just backed out and started driving away.

I made it about 10 feet in drive when it just crapped out on me. I've had cars run out of gas, and it was kind of like that, but faster. No loud noises. Just... done.

Towed it home. The engine turns over just as normal but will not start. My thought was fuel pump. So I picked one up and replaced it. No change.

So then, I thought maybe it's just the relay. Check under the steering wheel where I was told it was and found a green connector unconnected.

So, I reconnected it. Now, my check engine light is flashing like crazy, my radiator fan is going nuts and my oil temp light is flashing as well. Ran an obdscan, came back a fuel injector failure. Is that likely the cause of all those issues, or am I in way over my amateur mechanic head here?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,203 Posts
Hit it with starting fluid and see what gives. If it starts even briefly its a fuel issue.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,734 Posts
Disconnect the green connectors under the dash - Those put the ECU into diagnosis mode and the car will act like it is possessed

Edit: It sounds like you need to check for spark, compression and fuel. I would start with spark first personally. The sparkplugs might also tell you what is going on inside the engine by what condition they are in.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh. Well, that at least explains the craziness haha.

I'll take a look at the plugs. Thanks for letting me know what those green connectors did haha

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,954 Posts
@JMS1984 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Here's the thread on that green connector:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I ran an OBD scanner yesterday but completely forgot my code. Pretty sure it was something to do with the fuel injector.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Ran it again. Got a P0340. Camshaft Position Sensor.

Some quick precursory googling is saying this is the culprit for the no start, but I'm not sure. I'm taking a look, and it's pretty filthy on the outside. Anyone else think this could be the issue?

·
HCFFHC
2017 Forester 2.0XT
247 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Define lately... my forester belongs to my fiancee, and as far as I know it hasn't ever been replaced.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
459 Posts
When was the timing belt last replaced?

The mechanical Gods, might be giving you a second chance!

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update for anyone possibly dealing with the same thing:

Got my hands on a new multi-meter (used my old one for something completely not-car related and it's not usable anymore) and ran through the CPS troubleshooting guide. Everything checks out. All cables are connected correctly and not shorted, and the sensor is reading correctly. Is the only other possible issues fuel pump or timing belt? As a note, it DID kick back the P0340 for the CPS being off, so I'm not sure if the fuel filter can cause that problem.

When was the timing belt last replaced?

The mechanical Gods, might be giving you a second chance!
So, @Dogs I'm not exactly sure. My fiancee (actual owner of the car who bought it before I met her) says it was changed by the dealership she bought it from. Other than that, no idea. Not even sure if she knows the mileage the car had when she got it.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yet another update: I popped the cover plate off the side of the timing belt. There's still tension on it, and I see no damage or anything. Granted, I can't rotate the belt to see the whole thing, but I figured if it were broken I'd be able to feel the lack of tension on the belt. So it's not the timing belt, it's not the sensor and it's not the harness. I checked all the fuses and it's also not those. I am at a complete loss here. Any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts