Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 2002 Forester a few months ago and decided I would change the oil for the first time. I didn't realize that the drain plug on the left side is for transmission until I had drained out all the fluid and saw that it was red. No big deal I thought I'll just replace the tranny fluid while I'm at it. I only managed to get about 3 quarts of ATF fluid in through the hole when it started overflowing. Now the fluid is just sitting there level with the top of the hole and car wont go into gear. Any ideas what I did wrong/need to do?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I am betting you drained the transmission oil as you said, but instead of filling up the transmission you filled up the front diff and the diff housing is completely full.

The dipstick/fill hole for the front diff is on the passenger side(US).
The dipstick/fill hole for the transmission is on the drivers side(again US).

You would not be the first to drain the wrong one or fill the wrong one.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
With the recent trend in accidental transmission fluid drains while trying to do oil drains, I think we need a sticky thread showing pics of the locations..

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
A sticky would be most helpfull. I need to change all the fluids in mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the recent trend in accidental transmission fluid drains while trying to do oil drains, I think we need a sticky thread showing pics of the locations..
Was searching the forums for a similar issue . . . the diff dip stick is pretty blatent to find, but I can't find my ATV dip stick :icon_redface:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,440 Posts
Was searching the forums for a similar issue . . . the diff dip stick is pretty blatent to find, but I can't find my ATF dip stick :icon_redface:
It's hard to see! It's on the driver's side, way in there. You may have to move stuff to see it & to get to it. It will have a yellow pull handle. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts