Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester L 5MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'd like to start off by saying I'm an 18 y/o college student with hand tools and no fancy tools, I do all the work by myself because I have to. So before you say take it to a dealership, please understand I may not be able to, I'm broke as hell.

Skip to (***) for the problem.

Last October I purchased a 2002 Forester L, 5MT with some gremlins, from a 1 owner fella who just moved from Florida. Car has no rust, nothing, but it's got a multitude of issues that I've been tackling. When I bought it it served me a few codes:

All Cyl. Misfires
Knock Sensor
VSS
Poor Idle

I replaced all the plugs, knock and VSS, and found a. uncapped line to the CCS that I put back on.

Pulled the engine, replaced the timing belt, water pump, all pulleys, both VC gaskets, spark plug seals, clutch, pilot and throw-out bearings, and gave it an oil change.

(***) What prompted me to pull the engine? Glad you asked, this is why I'm here! When I drive the car, I pop it in 1st, go to 2nd and here's where it is: It gets the 2000 RPM's, bucks back and forth incredibly violently, and then the RPM's gradually fall as if I wasn't on the throttle at all even though I am. I can't get a video as I don't have a 3rd arm. Ill lay it out below just to be more detailed:

2nd Gear
2000 RPM's, stops, bucks back and forth violently, shakes
Starts gradually descending until I either pump the gas more or upshift and lug the engine out of this hell, where it will then do it in 3rd. Doesn't throw any codes, none stored.

Please help me. God it awful seeing this thing do this, like it's a horse with some disease is acts like it wants to be put out of it's misery.

It's got a ABS light but no CEL.

Any suggestion will help! Please Help!!!

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
854 Posts
Have you tested the fuel?

Either drain the tank, inspect it for corrosion or debris, then flush it clean. Inspect and clean fuel pump, and replace fuel filter(s). Backwards drain any fuel in the fuel delivery system, then fill with clean fresh fuel.

Or, try running the engine from a different, clean fuel source.

The violent bucking symptom, is commonly experienced when there is water contamination in the fuel.

Ethanol, is miscible with both hydrocarbons and water. So, it has the ability to draw small amounts of water through the system. However, drawing contamination through your fuel system is never a great idea.

There is a filter funnel on the market, that is designed to trap water and contamination, as the fuel runs through it. This would be a good way to clean the fuel in your tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester L 5MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Dogs How could I drain the tank? I suspected there may be water from the car sitting but I didn't think it because it idles fine and revs out in neutral fine, but my line of thinking says that when under load it obviously pulls more fuel. Elaborate on purging the fuel.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
854 Posts
The attached diagram shows components of the fuel system. But bare in mind the serious nature of dealing with all that fuel, i.e. fumes, spills, and possibility of ignition. If it seems too dangerous or messy, just leave it!
Can you access the fuel filter? If you can remove the fuel filter, and inspect the fuel in the inlet side, it may give you an idea of the possible contamination of the fuel in the tank. If it’s quite clean, and you’re confident that it’s not too dirty, you can try adding a small amount of ethanol to the fuel tank.

If it is water in the fuel, that is causing the problem, you will still get the symptoms until all the water is removed. The jerkiness should be a little less pronounced, unless there is a significant amount of moisture in there. Idling and revving whilst unloaded, is also consistent with moisture in the fuel.

If it does happen to be water in the fuel, it would be a good idea to try ascertain why there is moisture in there, and take any necessary corrective steps. Also check if any corrosion has started, and address that as well.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts