Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a stereo & speaker upgrade for my 2002 Forester. Right now it just has stock everything so I’m looking to upgrade to something that’s USB/Bluetooth compatible. Also looking to upgrade front and back speakers.

I really don’t know much about audio for cars so just looking for something that’s reliable with good sound. Can you get a decent system upgrade for $200/$300/$400? Again not too savvy with this so any help at all would be great!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
129 Posts
I’ve done a few radio swaps, lots of opinions out there but I’d definitely get something with CarPlay (or android auto if you don’t have an iPhone). I got my Sony XAV-AX1000 for a little over $200 last Black Friday, Crutchfield has good prices, great support if you’ve never done anything like this before, and include instructions and a wiring harness with your order. I’d do that, and maybe front door speakers if you still want something more after doing a new head unit. Pulling a powered sub (Subaru OEM under the seat) or tweeters if you don’t have those would be a really inexpensive upgrade after the headunit (the right junkyard could be less than $35 for both). Headunit will be a huge upgrade for sound quality over what you have now though

Reactions: bman400

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
419 Posts
Welcome.
+1 for Crutchfield.com
One thing I ask is what sound quality do you want out of it? More bass? Loud and clear at highway speeds?

Yes you can totally get new stereo and speakers for under $400. All depends on what features you want from your stereo. If all you want is USB/Bluetooh, you can get any of the newer base level head units. From what I found a Pioneer DMX 220EX for $165. Its not one of the cheapest but Pioneer is a good brand. Then again Crutchfield doen't sell junk, so even the cheapest stereo is ok.

As for speakers, really you can't go wrong with any brand. But here's where you can either go plug and play with traditional co-axle speakers or take it to the next level with component speakers. Those have their own hid away cross over network along with woofer/tweeter combo. Yes it requires some custom installing but the sound is way better. Also more expensive.

If you want more bass, then that's going to be extra. Not much, but then again it all depends how loud you want and how much space you want to give up.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
35 Posts
I installed a Dual XDMA760BT in my ‘04 XT a couple of months ago. Crutchfield had it for $60 with free shipping and free install kit. I just needed Bluetooth and iPod connectivity. Much better than stock. Installation took about 1-1/2 hours. Fifteen minutes of which were super gluing the existing trim plate and hazard switch. Crutchfield, like previously mentioned, has great customer service and support.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,619 Posts
I swapped out the original 2 DIN unit on my 2001 with a Sony xav-ax100, but definitely go with something newer than the xav-ax100. The unit handles Carplay or Android Auto very well. Gave the 2001 to my kid now as he is off at college. The only short-coming he and I have found is the location of the display requires him to look down for GPS map. But otherwise it works well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts