Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I hope I'm posting in the right place, new to this.

Anyway, I impulsively bought a 02" Forester S w/127k back in January. Between now and then, I've had the head gaskets replaced, timing belt done, o2 and air intake solenoid valve replaced. All new tires balanced. Just passed NY inspection. Now I have a few questions:

1) Of course when I'm leaving the inspection, I start the car, it revs a bit high for a few seconds, then dies. This happened about 2-3 times in last few weeks (after head gasket job was done). Died on me after driving for 3 minutes at a light, engine shut off with all lights coming briefly on. Was able to put it in park and then start again. Generally is able to start without any problems.

My first thought to this was the alternator. I just bought a multimeter and will try it tonight. Lights have not dimmed or any other dip in electrics so this is a maybe. A few other times I started it and it began to dip I gave it some gas and it was able to maintain a stable idle and then drive okay. Could it be by chance the fuel pump and filter? Or fuel injectors?

2) I had to drive about 50-60 miles between getting my codes cleared and the inspection. So I hit the highway. I've been feeling quite a decent amount of vibration at higher speeds (60+), with more noticeable vibrations between certain speeds (55-60). Just got the wheels balanced. Upon starting the car and throttling up I notice the engine is shaking quite amount. I'm doing research on bad engine mounts, so will also inspect this soon. Any other thoughts though?

3) I'm hearing a popcorn/water dripping sound from behind the drivers side/center dashboard. Did some research and am pretty confident that it is a vent mode actuator acting funky back there.. Can hear it more consistently above 40+, even when a/c and fans are off, will be trying out some new positions to see if that stops it at all.

Just spent a good 3k getting all this slowly done to still have this subie not in a ready condition but still maintaining some confidence that the worst is over and can really resurrect itself!

Thanks all.. I believe thats it.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,688 Posts
@abanen Do you have a lit CEL at the moment? If so, what codes do you have?

As to revving & stalling, this came to mind. Peruse the tread to see if it matches your symptoms?

If the fuel filter hasn't been replaced, it's not real expensive & easy to replace. The fuel pump is a bit more difficult to replace, but doable.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply,

No lit CELs, just had them all cleared finally and drove about 60+ miles since. I believe the last time the fuel filter was replaced was about 30k and 6 years ago so.. will definitely be doing that. Thanks for that thread link, doesn't seem similar though.

·
Administrator
42,688 Posts
I dislike throwing money at a problem, preferring to start with the simple, easy & low cost options. With that said, have you tried this?

Also... what CEL codes did you have?

Bobby...

Reactions: Kevin

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome links, will definitely try that reset.

I don't remember the code names exactly, but they were two for the downstream o2 sensor and the air assist injector solenoid valve. Both of which were just replaced and no more check engine light after that.. so far at least.

·
Administrator
42,688 Posts
@abanen if the front O2 sensor hasn't been replaced, that might be something to consider if you have a lot of miles on it & especially if the head gaskets failed with that O2 sensor installed.

Bobby...

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,247 Posts
what Bobby said about the upstream Air/Fuel O2 Sensor is very good advice.

Also, look for loose wire connections in the engine bay, specifically the MAF/MAP sensor. you may want to
reseat it a few times and/or hit hit electrical contact cleaner

Look for loose vacuum hoses too ...

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.