Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester X AW Manual
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, am new to the forum but visit here regularly for info. Recently noticed a sickly sweet smell from the exhaust of my 03 (52 plate) forester on startup. No white smoke as far as I can tell, just a little steam (?) when cold, then the smell and steam clears up.

The car is N/A 2.0x awp with just under 67k miles on the clock.

I should note that I check the levels regularly, and nothing has budged. Temperature is constant as well.

Would someone mind/be able to tell me if this is indicative of a failing HG? Quite frankly the idea terrifies me (I love the car).

Thanks for reading and all the awesome info filled posts on this site!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,884 Posts
I see this is your forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

If the coolant was being ingested... burned, then your coolant level would drop & need to be refilled. If this isn't the case, what you're smelling may be normal, especially for a cold engine that's warming up.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: A_Happy_Guy

·
Registered
2002 Forester X AW Manual
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it is normal! Has a full and good service history (though I've read it can still happen).

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,884 Posts
Head gasket failures still happen on even on later model non-turbo engines. The only thing you can do as a preventative measure is to make sure your coolant is serviced on a regular basis & the Subaru recommended conditioner is added.

Bobby...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this is your forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

If the coolant was being ingested... burned, then your coolant level would drop & need to be refilled. If this isn't the case, what you're smelling may be normal, especially for a cold engine that's warming up.

Bobby...

Even if I have a fubar HG? Please no not real work that costs real money..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts