Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay,

Lets begin...I have an 02 forester with a 5s Manual transmission. Today I removed the propeller shaft. (the driveline that starts at the transmission and ends at the rear differential. This is what I know, the u joint that is connected to the rear differential is shot, Its bad folks. Anyways. I have pulled the entire propeller shaft out of the car and am limbo on the next step. This is what I know, the u- joints in my model are machine pressed. the factor says you have to buy another shaft and cannot replace u joints like other cars. However, I have seen online people doing it, as well as, found a company that sells u-joints engineered for this purpose. Changing the u-joints is option 1, however, I am afraid it may be over my head. So, my next option was to pull a drive axle out of a junk yard. Well, guess what. Manual drive axles are shorter than automatic drive and their are not any manual drive axles near me within a two state radius. This is my question, I noticed that the propeller shafter looks as if it could disconnect at the center rubber bearing. Has anyone ever heard of doing this???? Reason being, I could in theory pull an driveaxle out of an automatic and separated the drive axle, reassemble it on the front part of my drive axle and in theory they it should be the right size, considering the length difference appears to be from the center bushing to the transmission. Is this possible? If not are their other models in the junkyard that I could use that would be the same fit? I know thats alot to follow but any help would be very appreciated. I need to get this baby up and running, I work in the gig economy and every day she is down is a day I am not making money. I could buy a shaft online, my concern with that is the time it will take to ship. Any suggestions, as always, would be very appreciated.

Roll on fellow travelers, keep your head up and your face in the wind!

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,589 Posts
I am afraid it may be over my head.
I looked into doing the u-joint on my Outback. If you think you're in over your head on this, you're probably right. I knew I would be after researching.

Try Ebay for a used driveshaft. I did that on my Outback. I think I paid under $150 shipped and it gave me about 50k of life before the u-joint started going again. Shipping was pretty quick. Well worth it in my opinion. I'll likely be going that route yet again in the near future.

· Administrator
21,183 Posts
G'day & Welcome @incogitatus
IP21 has not visited for a month so you may need to send a message via "Conversations"

Also could you please complete your profile; vehicle details at least; thanks. For detail instructions pls refer: Your forum "Public Profile" - how to fill this...

Note that any threads / posts you create could be removed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

· Registered
1999 Forester S
541 Posts
I've had driveline shops replace the bearings on Subaru U-joints in the past. If you have one in your area, give them call and ask. This is not a job I would risk doing myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts