Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester 5 Speed Manual
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Subaru Forester SOHC 2.5 liter. I noticed one day that my Dash Cluster lights stopped working. Upon inspection i also noticed that nothing worked on the combo switch except the turn signals, those were fine. The head and tail lights turn on when the parking switch on top of my steering wheel is used though. I checked all the bulbs and they're good, and no visible signs of heat or corrosion. I used a test light on all the fuses and #8 and #9 MB fuses have no power. I tested the fuses and they are good. I don't know where to go from here. I have the diagram and admittedly don't really know how to read it well. If i read it right then wires coming off the fuses in question go to the front harness #46 and plug into the bulkhead harness #108. That's the extent of my knowledge though. I have searched online and not had any luck. I seem to just fall down rabbit holes of wiring issues semi related but not enough to be appropriate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,719 Posts
@Steez0 I see you're new to the forum, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

By main fuse block, I'm assuming you're referring to the main fuse box in the engine compartment. Looking at the wiring diagram, fuse #8 & 9 are for the headlights. The fuses will only have +12V on them, when headlight relays are operated.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for replying. Greeting from TN. I lived in Anacortes, WA for a few years and my brother in law lives near Bend, OR, beautiful country out there. I'll test the relays after work today and post the results. Can the relays go bad before the fuses? After looking at the diagram i assumed that the fuse was the 1st in line and that was preventing power getting to the relays. When i saw no power on the fuses i stopped there and thought the prob was from the battery to the fuses.

·
Administrator
38,719 Posts
@Steez0 yes, relays can fail, but the the odds of both headlight relays failing at the same time... possible, but not likely.

As I read your first post. The headlights turn on, with the combination switch, when the parking light switch on the steering column is turned on. Is this correct?

Also, does the does the dash cluster lighting work when you do the above... parking light is turned on?

Bobby...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry I mistakenly said the switch turns on headlight and taillights. My headlights do not come on with the parking light switch. My headlights only come on when the car is running. I have to use the parking light switch on top of my steering wheel to turn on the taillights. I don't know if I have a bad combo switch so I went to pull apart to get a replacement but switching it out didn't fix the problem.

·
Administrator
38,719 Posts
@Steez0 first I need to know exactly what the problem is, before the troubleshooting can begin!

The headlights are working correctly. You're using the "parking light switch" to turn on the clearance lighting... the tail lights & side markers. The problem is no instrument panel illumination & no clearance lights... tail lights or side markers with the head lights. Is this the issue you're attempting to fix?

One question... are you sure the headlights are working... as in, any chance they're in DRL - Daytime Running Light mode?

Bobby...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The headlights only work when I'm driving or idle/engine running. The can not be turned on or off by using the combination switch located on the left side of the steering wheel. The tail lights only work when I use the parking light switch on top of steering wheel, they can not be turned on or off with the combination switch to the left of steering wheel. The brake lights work normally, turn signals work normally also. I got a new combination switch from pull a part but the problem persists. It's possible both combination switched are bad. How would I test that? They're expensive to buy new if not needed. I'm sorry if I'm not explaining myself properly.

·
Administrator
38,719 Posts
Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, I need to know exactly what's happening?

The DRL are not controlled by the combo switch & operate automatically when the engine is running. In addition, the clearance & tail lights don't operate with the DRL... which I always thought was odd!

This is why I'm asking if you're sure the headlights are operating or is it just the DRL - Daytime Running Lights?

Bobby...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The DRL are working. The problem is that the combination switch does not turn on the headlights, (high or low beam) taillights, dash cluster illumination, or cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I visually inspected all the fuses in the fuse box to the bottom left of the steering wheel. They all looked good. I'll use the tester on it when I get home.

·
Administrator
38,719 Posts
@Steez0 on your first post, you said you have the wiring diagrams. Take a look at the page marked 42 & 43. Trace the combination meter illumination. Says the source is fuse #12, which traces back to the page marked page 13. The diagram shows the +12V originates from the "tail & illumination" relay, when it's operated. The control for that relay is FB17. Scroll down to the next page marked page 14 & you'll see FB17 goes back to the "lighting switch". Scroll down to the page marked page 42 & you can see where the ground to operate the "tail & illumination" relay passes thru the light switch.

Disclaimer - NOT saying the light switch is bad! Continue the troubleshooting by "exercising" the connector... unplug & plug it back together a couple times. If the contacts are dirty, that may fix it.

Bobby...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FB 12 and 17 are good according to my ohm/volt meter. When checking the pages on my diagram 42 and 43 refer to the airbag system. I did some more digging and noticed that the manual i downloaded was for a 2001 forester. I did a quick search and found a few others but none of them are marked specifically for a 2002 forester. The research i've done so far seems to indicate that most things are interchangable on 97-2002 foresters. I'm not sure if that boils over into wiring though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the coin tray/fuse access for my car. I show that 12 is illumination and 17 is for ac. I'm not sure where the discrepancy lies but I rechecked all the fuses with an ohmmeter to verify continuity and to exercise them. Is there a way to test the combination switch to see if that's the problem. I don't want to order a new one if this one is fine. I appreciate your info so far.

·
Administrator
38,719 Posts
@Steez0 you need to look at the technical service document to see what the"actual" load is for those fuses.

Fuse #12, 10A = FB-20 & FB-21
FB-20
• Illumination light
• Illumination control module
• Keyless entry control module
FB-21
• Illumination light
• Illumination control module
• Keyless entry control module
Fuse #17, 15A = FB-12 & FB-13
FB-12
• Blower motor relay
• Mode control panel
• Rear defogger switch
FB-13
• A/C relay
• Sub fan relay
Bobby...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update. I'm trying to research how to properly read a wiring diagram. I'm slow to reply because I can only able to do a little at a time between my lack of knowledge, the kids back to school stuff, and working on certifications for work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have one more item to add to the mystery. My fog lights also don't work. I only have fog lights in the front and they are controlled by a switch just above the fuse box inside the car. A short recap. I have DRL and brake lights work as they should. I do not have headlights, taillights, dash lights, cig lighter power, or fog lights. I have all good bulbs and fuses. The dome light, clock, and radio work as they should. The turn signals also work properly. The parking light switch on top of steering wheel turns on taillights if i have to drive at night.

·
Administrator
38,719 Posts
I won't worry about the fog lights, at this time, as they will "only" operate if the headlights are on. The +12V for MB-9. comes from the RH headlight relay. Once you figure out why the headlight relays aren't working, the fog lights should work.
MB-9
• Combination meter
• Front fog light relay
• Front fog light switch
• Headlight RH
Bobby...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts