Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, glad to have found this forum. I'm experiencing a weird noise in the engine, and I'm trying to pin down what it might be. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine, and my guy reaction is a pulley bearing, but I've had others listen to it and to them it sounds like something rubbing. Either a timing belt, a guide, or a pulley somewhere. I'd really like to know your thoughts, and if you've heard this noise before.

·
Registered
349 Posts
process of elimination: Remove the Alternator belt. Run it. Noise still there? Remove the AC belt. Run it. Noise still there? Pull off the timing belt inspection cover on the drivers side (should be 3-4 10mm bolts) and see if you see any evidence of rubber-shavings or groves in your timing belt.
(all of that only costs you time)

Piece of advice: Don't drive it. If it is your timing belt, or something to do with running the timing belt, you will possibly do some serous damage if it breaks. Also:you don't want to damage the timing belt cover. They are not horribly expensive, but why add another $100 to your repair...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts