Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I'm really enjoying the wealth of information that's on offer. I'm very hopefully soon to be the proud owner of a JDM 2002 2.0L XT, RH drive manual 5 speed. I'm already thinking of mods (yes, I'm running before I can walk!) I've got my eye on some WRX 5 spoke wheels in gold which will be my first mod. Next I'd like to enhance the scooby rumble. What is the best exhaust to go for to accomplish this? Do I need to go complete downpipe/ midpipe/ muffler or could I do this with just a muffler? And if so what are my best options? I've tried doing my research across the forum, facebook and youtube but I can only seem to find information on 2004 onwards models. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. The picture is of the car I'm hopefully picking up next week after having it inspected by a Subaru mechanic.

·
Administrator
15,094 Posts
G'day & Welcome @Benmon3000 - nice looking motor! My MY'03 used to look like that once - a long time ago.
I've moved your thread here as the Euro folks can point you in the right direction.

To get the Subie "burble" requires unequal length headers (UEL) - that much I do know ;-)

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum. She looks like a great example !

Does yours have a factory exhaust still?

Very curious what engine and internals yours has. The UK MY03. 2.0XT had pretty restrictive exhaust manifolds and cams from memory, but yours being JDM might have something else. I'm wondering if you have a pre-turbo cat up pipe. If you do, it might be worth changing as it isn't unheard of them breaking up and taking the turbo with them.

Being a turbo, you should have Unequal headers already, so a backbox or cat-back system should do the job, depending how loud you want to go.

HKS make a nice quiet but better flowing system and remains JDM.
Cobra + Hayward & Scott make exhaust in the UK in stainless for yours.
Tomei make a Titanium system if you want to stick with JDM and flows with basically zero restriction but it is loud.......They come with a bung you can fit which quietens it down significantly - I remove the bung on mine for occasions, otherwise I drive it with it in to keep sane. If you want a system that can be quietened down while on the fly, you could look into fitting something like this with your new exhaust https://apexi-usa.com/exhaust-control-valve-flange-type-80mm

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,794 Posts
Very curious what engine and internals yours has. The UK MY03. 2.0XT had pretty restrictive exhaust manifolds and cams from memory, but yours being JDM might have something else. I'm wondering if you have a pre-turbo cat up pipe. If you do, it might be worth changing as it isn't unheard of them breaking up and taking the turbo with them.

Just to put TMX's mind at rest the revision "A" JDM XT comes with an EJ205 with different cams to the UK model, but not the same as a UK/European WRX of similar vintage.

It also comes with the restrictive exhaust manifold as fitted to the MY03 UK/Europe XT and the "classic" style 3 piece turbo back exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'day & Welcome @Benmon3000 - nice looking motor! My MY'03 used to look like that once - a long time ago.
I've moved your thread here as the Euro folks can point you in the right direction.

To get the Subie "burble" requires unequal length headers (UEL) - that much I do know ;-)
Hi Kevin! Thanks but I actually reside in Vancouver, Canada, although I’m British. I’ll change my location on my profile, I think it was automatically set to UK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. She looks like a great example !
Does yours have a factory exhaust still?
Thanks for your reply, It doesn’t have to be super loud but I want a refined rumble at idle. I’m actually located in Canada so this forum may be moved by the admin, but cheers for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to put TMX's mind at rest the revision "A" JDM XT comes with an EJ205 with different cams to the UK model, but not the same as a UK/European WRX of similar vintage.

It also comes with the restrictive exhaust manifold as fitted to the MY03 UK/Europe XT and the "classic" style 3 piece turbo back exhaust.
View attachment 535058
View attachment 535059
Wow! This is great! I believe mine has an EJ20, which is stated on the JDM import dealers website where the car is coming from. Could be wrong though

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,794 Posts
Wow! This is great! I believe mine has an EJ20, which is stated on the JDM import dealers website where the car is coming from. Could be wrong though
"EJ20" just means it's a 2.0L engine of the "EJ" Family of engines 2.0L and 2.5L, N/A and Turbocharged, which eventually stopped being made at the end of 2019, as they are no longer fuel efficient and able to meet the higher emission standards now being imposed. "EJ205" means it's 2.0L and turbocharged, as does an "EJ255" but 2.5L and turbocharged.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,662 Posts
If you're in Canada, you likely have more choice. Rally Sport Direct in the US ship to Canada I believe
A few options there from the likes of HKS, Tomei, Fujitsubo: Cat Back Exhaust System - You may need to put the car down as a WRX for the exhaust list to show properly. The Forester has a slightly different fitting backbox arrangement, but can be sorted by polyurethane exhaust hangers

I've used Rally Sport Direct and would recommend them - Fantastic customer service compared to most companies in Britain. I got my Tomei system from a group buy on NASIOC from 7L Autosport (Who have since closed) so might be worth keeping an eye out there for good deals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts