Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 Forester with 97,000 mi.

I'm not sure if the dealer is playing me or not and want to get a few opinions for what to do.

Brought it in when the WP-99 campaign started back in 2004 at 50,000mi had coolant changed and the stop leak added. From 60,000mi on noticed sweet smell, then really saw coolant dropping around 80,000mi. Brought it in and they said they dont replace HG's until there's an issue after the second dose of stop leak. Whatever, they put it in and the coolant remained very stable every time I checked it at oil changes ~4000mi intervals. Now at 97,000 mi (3 mo past the 8 yr warranty period) I just checked and the reservoir is suddenly bone dry and radiator is probably down 1/2 quart. Plus noticed little bubbles around the cap. Attached photos....

As you can see it's not down that much, but would you go back to the dealer and demand HG replaced under warranty? Maybe if I yell loud enough they'd replace it even if I'm out of the 8yr extended warranty. Don't want to be paranoid, but am not sure if this amount of coolant loss is really that big of a deal.

I do have the sweet smell again.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
... Brought it in and they said they dont replace HG's until there's an issue after the second dose of stop leak. ....
I am not one who typically believes in pushing issues like this after warranty. But in this case I can make an exception. If it were me I would have pushed harder the first time around after the 1st bottle of stop leak. The campaign is for one bottle not 2. You can try calling 1-800-SUBAU-3 to start a case and see where it goes from there. They might do some good faith repair/split of the cost.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably talk to the dealer first, and if it goes nowhere then I'll try giving Corporate a call.

So are those bubbles a dead giveaway that it's leaking exhaust into the system? I just dont want to walk into the dealer with a tough attitude when it's questionable HG symptoms.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
If you see small bubbles like that with the cap off while it is running would be a dead giveaway. But those bubbles you see now make it a good suspect combined with the low coolant.

Again I would only push this as it started weeping after the WP-99 campaign was performed and you brought it to the attention of the dealer who pushed it off. If you don't have any documentation of bringing it to the attention of the dealer you may be out of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts