Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester L 5MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I had 3 occasions where I had trouble filling her up, which was annoying. Could only get about .5 of a gallon in before the pump clicked off.

I dropped home, popped the filler neck off, and it was pristine, looked almost new (It's not). I cleared all the hoses at the neck, made sure it was all clean. What's the deal?

My next test would be that I disconnected the fat hose at the EVAP Can that I presume leads off the gas tank, it's the hose in the middle of the can w/ a clamp. Am I doing this right? If I fill up and it fills properly that means my EVAP Can or Purge Valve is shot right? I'm really confused and am forced to all the work myself since I'm one broke donkey college student.

·
Administrator
18,664 Posts
@Kapp_o

Pls complete your profile:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Note that any thread your create, including this one, could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
971 Posts
Don't know the details of the fill neck issues, but several cars I've owned have had peculiar filling habits.
My '99 Forester needs to have the gas pump handle angled at about 5 o'clock position and the fill done at medium (or slower) pace.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester L 5MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know the details of the fill neck issues, but several cars I've owned have had peculiar filling habits.
My '99 Forester needs to have the gas pump handle angled at about 5 o'clock position and the fill done at medium (or slower) pace.
At 5 o'clock theres that small air valve that you post down with the nozzle. Did you feel a click when you hit 5 o'clock?

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
971 Posts
At 5 o'clock theres that small air valve that you post down with the nozzle. Did you feel a click when you hit 5 o'clock?
No air valve I've ever noticed. State doesn't use CA style pump emission reducing nozzles, if that's what you're talking about. . Just yesterday I filled the car; pump handle was initially at 6:30 o'clock and it clicked off, just like you complain abaout. Moved it to right, 5 o'clock and held it on, again. I never use the auto fill notch on the pump lever, 'cuz it's too finicky. Does this help at all?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts