Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently cracked my drivers side outer tail light and I've since received a replacement for it yet I cant seem to figure out what's still holding the cracked one in place. I've unscrewed the three bolts that are visible and seem to be stuck. Is there a pin or something I'm missing? Anyone have any knowledge on the subject they could help me out with?
Thank you much :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
You have removed the 3 bolts ... those are the only fasteners ............... HOWEVER, from the factory, they sealed them with butyl rubber sealer. I usually put a piece of tape on the body, to protect it, then use a large screwdriver to pry the light away from the body. It is held fast, but it's only the sealer holding it.

When replacing, be certain to SEAL the new light assy properly. If you do not, you can expect some water in the spare tire well from time to time when it rains. It's common for it to seep past a taillight that has been replaced, but not sealed.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay cool, thats what I thought it might be but i didn't want to screw around it just in case. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
01 Forester
2 Posts
Question on replacement part

My forester was back into last week and I need to replace the driver side rear tail light. Any suggestions on where to find a replacement at a good price?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts