Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2002 Forester System NOT charging - SOLVED!

('01-'02) 
4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 ·
I Took the the alternator off and had it checked TWICE and it is charging fine. (75 amp alternator 14.5 amp charge and all components working fine). Put alternator back into vehicle and it is only showing 4-5 amps on the battery cables. I assume it is a ground problem. I will be checking the battery cables first but don't know where to look after that!!!

Does this model have a voltage regulator? If so where, I see nothing resembling a VR anywhere, unless it is that odd looking device on passenger side fire wall? If that is it how do I check to see if that is the problem??

Any help is appreciated!!!
Jimmy

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I found that the negative battery cable to the block was reading on the ohm meter good when I was on the cable clamps but was not reading on the terminal or the block. So I will clean that tomorrow!!

I did notice a lot of white build up on the alternator mount and did not clean it. So I will loosen it up and clean that while I am at it!!! hopefully this will be the salvation. Stay tuned for a final report!!!

Thanks @bobk25, @2.5x_sleeper and @Easy Fixer

Discussion starter · #6 ·
SOLVED!!! Final report!!! Thanks for the help guys!!!
The thread that 2.5x_sleeper suggested seemed to do the trick. I pulled the alternator back off and cleaned up the mount bracket on the car and alternator. I also replaced the belt which looked to be original (16yrs old and not very flexible). I then removed the air filter box and pulled the battery ground from the engine block and cleaned it well. Hooked everything up and I am pushing 14+ volts to the battery (it was discharged almost completely).

I then drove the car for 10 minutes up to a Car Quest Auto Parts store and they checked the battery. It was showing 350 cold cranking amps. The battery is rated 500 cold cranking amps. They said to drive it a bit longer and test it again, since it was so low on CCAmps. I may have to replace the battery since it was drained so far down.

I appreciate the help, it was an easy fix!!!

Discussion starter · #8 ·
UPDATE! The battery never recovered full power, and I left the Subi sitting for a few days and had to jump start it. So I replaced the battery and the guy at parts store said he owned Subi and after you install the new battery there is a procedure you have to go through to reset the CEL.
It was something like this. After you get home
1. disconnect both terminals for 15 minutes
2. reconnect battery and before starting
3. tap the brakes
4. turn on head lights
5. turn on AC and all accessories
6. start the car without touching the gas
7. let it run for 15 minutes

He said if you didn't the car would run rough and gas milage would drop.

I did this but after about 40 mile CEL is back on.
I have not had the CEL checked yet but have never heard of such with any car.
I do understand there is a drive cycle that solve the CEL but can't remember where I found it.
BTW charging problem is definitely SOLVED!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.