Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Forester new off the lot. It has been a great car until now. I left it with my son for the summer and during that time it needed a new battery. After replacing the battery it wouldn't run, just lurched and bucked and check engine light was on, so he took it to our mechanic who replaced the starter, tuned it up, and $1,000 worth of work later it was exactly the same.
I read on this forum about re-setting the ECU so I did that several times, each time it runs perfect for a few minutes then reverts back to CEL back on and very bad performance.
Then I read about changing the ECU so I found one on eBay and put it in, same thing.
Thought maybe it was a bad ECU so I bought another one and put it in, same thing.
Took it to the dealers mechanic who said I needed a new wiring holster for the ECU so I finally found one online and after putting it in, same thing happened.
Now, after 2 months of not having a car, the dealer says it is the timing belt - $1400 more.
Symptoms go away after each "repair" then return after a few miles.
Anyone have a suggestion?:crying:

·
Premium Member
2006 FXT Lux
382 Posts
If the check engine light comes on, you'll be able to scan the code/s and it should be an easy-ish answer to 'what is wrong'.

Maybe the dealer is doing this, but then trying to make some extra cash off you.

I'd get someone to read the codes if you can't do it yourself and post back here with what they are. People will be able to help you figure out the issues from there, if you can't already find the answer from looking them up on this site.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
^^ What he said.

Plus - I would seriously think about changing your mechanic.

It could be something as relatively simple as cleaning or changing the Idle Control Valve.

Your 'mechanic' doing things like changing the starter motor, unless it was 100% broken, is straight robbery.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2002 Forester disaster is fixed!

It was the fuel-air sensor. Now my car runs better than it did the day I bought it. It was always choppy on taking off. Now it is much smother and has more power.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5MT
150 Posts
It was the fuel-air sensor. Now my car runs better than it did the day I bought it. It was always choppy on taking off. Now it is much smother and has more power.
How did you figure out it was the fuel-air sensor? Did you run a code scanner to discover this or something else?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts