Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this specific forum but I have been using NASIOC and RS25 for a few years now. In all honesty I have not joined this site because thus-far my mom's Forester has not be any troubles.

2 days ago her driveshaft broke at the U-joint closest to the transmission. With that said I am looking for a used drive shaft. I have searched google, nasioc, and this site looking for a solid answer to my question but have not found it....

The car is a 2002 Forester 5spd

Will a drive shaft from another model work on her Forester?

I at first was thinking an Impreza driveshaft might work but then I was worried about the difference in ground clearance might mean the Forester driveshaft is longer?

I am running short on time since I need to get her car up/running this weekend so I decided to post in hopes everyone here could answer my question.

Also, does anyone near DE, PA, MD, NJ have a used driveshaft they could sell?

Thanks,
Ian Cooper

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Have you checked around at the local junk yards? You might be able to find one on a wrecked Forester.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few junk yards and/or 'you-pull-it' yards around. I have thought about calling around to see if they have the parts and/or Foresters. BUT this perticular week has proven to be VERY crazy and I have not had the time to do this.

Also, if I can learn that the driveshaft from another model will work with the Forester that will perhaps increase my chances of finding it if I do end up at a junkyard.

Keep the ideas/information coming please!

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WOW! That is an awesome write up! My mom's failed in the exact same way. I have to agree with those who noted about older vehicles having zerk fittings everywhere - on my old Saab I used to install these fittings on all the ball joints myself in hopes if I kept it greased I wouldn't need to replace them again.

Thank you for the information regarding the Impreza wagon shaft working (with a center bearing change). I will keep that in mind while I am looking around.

I did find a used shaft (from a 98 forester 5spd) for $200 at a recycle yard - I have 1 more yard to call tomorrow. This other place specializes in Subaru's so I'm thinking it might be the place to go.

Thanks everyone for the advise / information thus far - please continue to post if you know anything else.

Thank you,
Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Figured I would throw a quick post with my end result of this.

I bought a driveshaft from a junk yard / recycle yard for $200. The shaft came out of a 98 Forester 5spd with 117K. It looked to be in a good shape and there did not seem to be any play or rust on in the U-joints.

With the help of Murray (SN on NASIOC) we were able to swap the driveshafts in about 30minutes. Then we spent way too long draining/filling the gearbox but that was due to me not having the proper funnel. We did NOT have to remove any of the exhaust (stock exhaust). We did inspect the output shaft seal on the gearbox but it looked to be in good shape. If you need to replace the driveshaft I would suggest purchasing a new seal jsut in case - it cost $9 for the seal. I will try to post this part number later.

Also, thanks to Rob at Darkstar Motorsports - I took the car over to his place to change the rear diff. oil and have him listen for any strange noises that I thought the car was making (but he said he did not hear anything unusual). He also suggested the yard that I went to for the replacement driveshaft.

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts