Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I recently had my 02 forester (97,000 miles) at the shop for a couple of odds and ends. One of the things the mechanic told me was that my "ac belt" was flopping around so they adjusted it.

I had told them about a "chirping" noise that I was hearing when the car was in drive or reverse (not park), under load, like at a stop light or stop sign. I figured that's what it was (the ac belt).

Well I got it back, and it was fine for a day or two, but now I'm hearing it again. I'm also now getting a somewhat faint, although still present burning rubber smell coming from the front of the car after I drive a decent distance (12 miles or so).

Does the belt need to be replaced or just "adjusted" again, or are there other possible issues?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Personally I would replace the belt, when the belt is slipping the side of the belt starts to glaze up, even when adjusted the belt is likely to slip again.

Even though you have only 97K on the vehicle, it's still 8 years old, maybe have the other belts changed while you're doing that.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Personally I would replace the belt, when the belt is slipping the side of the belt starts to glaze up, even when adjusted the belt is likely to slip again.

Even though you have only 97K on the vehicle, it's still 8 years old, maybe have the other belts changed while you're doing that.
I agree but, I have been thru this several times.. Get the belts from Subaru.. I have never found an after market belt that did not churp so just pay a couple more bucks and get Subaru belts..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

1 - 3 of 3 Posts